ZyWall 110 Stopped Working and Can't Log In after firmware upgrade

jschatzman
jschatzman Posts: 4
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security

My Zywall 110 has been fine for a couple of years. Yesterday, for the first time ever, it required me to change the password and then installed a software update. At that point it stopped working as a firewall and I was unable to log in with either the new or the old password. Effectively, it is bricked. Either someone comes up with a fix or I am going to have to send it back to the factory for repair??

All Replies

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @jschatzman,

Connect console and see if you can enter debug mode.

If you can enter debug mode, follow the FAQ to backup running configuration and upgrade ZyWALL 110 to the latest official firmware 4.35(AAAA.2).

Here is the FAQ for your reference.

How to backup running configuration if forgot password?

If there is no reaction on console or you cannot access the debug mode, you have to send the device to repair center.

• O.k. that worked, after I figured out how to get my serial/usb converter to come online in less than 3 seconds.

Now I would like to reattach the firewall to my network for diagnostic purposes. How can I change its gateway address to something other than 192.168.1.1 so it won't conflict with my replacement firewall (e.g., change it to 192.168.0.1)?

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee

Hi @jschatzman,

You can access the device via SSH or console and enter the following commands to change the interface IP.

Router# configure terminal

Router(config)# interface lan1

Router(config-if-lan1)# ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

Router(config-if-lan1)# exit

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool LAN1_POOL

Router(config-ip-dhcp-pool)# network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

Router(config-ip-dhcp-pool)# starting-address 192.168.0.33 pool-size 200

Router(config-ip-dhcp-pool)# default-router 192.168.0.1

Router(config-ip-dhcp-pool)# exit

• Hary1987
    Hary1987 Posts: 13
    Friend Collector First Comment

My Zywall 110 has been fine for a couple of years. Yesterday, for the first time ever, it required me to change the password and then installed a software update. At that point it stopped working as a firewall and I was unable to log in with either the new or the old password. Effectively, it is bricked. Either someone comes up with a fix or I am going to have to send it back to the factory for repair??

Excuse me.

plz give the way you solved this problem. Today i had just updated the firmware for my zywall. And now i cannot log in it. Plz help me. I dont want to reset default, that is the last way. Plz help me.
  • Please see answers to my post. This was a bug in the firmware update at the time, which has not repeated AFAIK. I ended up doing a factory reset. Presumably, the process of updating would involve saving a backup of the configuration before doing the update. Otherwise, you will have to start from scratch. Sorry.

My unit eventually died and I upgraded to a USG Flex 200. I have had no problems with the new unit.
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @Hary1987
    If you are lucky, you can find lastgood.conf in "conf" or "standby_conf" folder after logging to Firewall by FTP.

• Hary1987
    Hary1987 Posts: 13
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Please see answers to my post. This was a bug in the firmware update at the time, which has not repeated AFAIK. I ended up doing a factory reset. Presumably, the process of updating would involve saving a backup of the configuration before doing the update. Otherwise, you will have to start from scratch. Sorry.

My unit eventually died and I upgraded to a USG Flex 200. I have had no problems with the new unit.
    Thanks.

So lucky, it just returned the previous configuration. I don’t know why it happen. And i found the old pasword and i can log in it. Then i tried upgrade FW again, it was success. 

Thank a lot for answer.

Security Highlight