VPN Not Connecting

baparks
baparks Posts: 11  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security

Has anyone gotten this error mess age:

"Can't connect to the VPN connection.

A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed."

If so what was the issue and how was it solved?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @baparks ,

What device and firmware version are you currently using?

Is there any VPN related error log displayed in Monitor > Log > View Log page when the issue happens?

What kind of software are you using to connect?

And the issue you mentioned “"Can't connect to the VPN connection.

A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed."

Can you explain more details about it?

• baparks

After a weekend of not messing with the VPN, I came back to this error:

The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding.This could be because one of the network devices (e.g. firewalls, NAT routers, etc.) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem.

And this was AFTER I had called Zyxel tech support for an assist.

I am using the windows built-in VPN with the USG20 VPN/Firewall with 4.35 firmware.

• Zyxel_Jerry
    edited March 2020

Hi @baparks

Is there any VPN related error log displayed in Monitor > Log > View Log page when the connection failed?

And in this article it seems you would like to use win 7 or windows 10 built in VPN client to build L2TP tunnel to USG20 VPN, is it correct?

https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/3921/solved-help-with-usg20-vpn-windows-server-2016#latest

If yes,here is the guideline to setup settings on WIN 7 for L2TP VPN

https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=010039&lang=EN

Try to enable the IKE service on Windows 7 and WIN10 and check if the VPN tunnel can established.

Here is the reference how to setup L2TP VPN settings

https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/618/how-to-use-the-vpn-setup-wizard-to-create-a-l2tp-vpn-on-the-zywall-usg

• baparks

The error logs do not show my attempted connections to the box at all.

But it does show a lot of other activity.

I would like to use Windows 10, since I'm in the process of upgrading everyone's systems.

It's funny but the article you posted was a post I created after I thought my issue was solved. It's not.

• Zyxel_Jerry

Hi @baparks

Can you private message your configuration for check further?

Security Highlight