Which Client-to-Site Protocol is recommended for Performance?

Boiler
Boiler Posts: 4
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
currently, my users use the SSL VPN (Zywall 110) to remotely connect to my network and then map several network drives via batch script. those shared folders are on a NAS. in those folders they acess word and excel files. the issue is that working with those files is very slow. question is....is there a difference regarding performance between the different VPN protocols (SSL, IPSec) or are there maybe things i could do to improve performance?

thx for any help!

All Replies

• Jeremylin
    Jeremylin Posts: 166  Master Member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Have you enabled any UTM service?
    Per my understanding, the throughput of L2TP and Ipsec are better than SSL VPN.
  • Boiler
    First Comment
    thx for your answer!
    i have no UTM services enabled at all.

i tried the Zyxel IPSec client and it seemed indeed to be a bit faster when accessing files on the remote NAS.

however, i can't use the IPSec client since i can not assign multiple remote subnets. the SSL VPN on the other hand allows me to do that and unfortunately, this is a must :-(
  • Jeremylin
    "The multiple remote subnets". You mentioned the subnet can be selected on Network list on SSL VPN page?
  • Boiler
    First Comment
    correct. on the zywall you can choose to which subnets a SSL user has access to. 
  • Jeremylin
    Configure remote subnet widely which include multiple IP address, so client can access it.

Security Highlight