Log and Backup to USB

Michael_I
Michael_I Posts: 42  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Security

Hello,

I did the configuration to save the Logs to a USB-Stick. Where can I watch the Logs on the USB Stick. In Monitor/Log are only the logs from the internal Storage.

Is there a possibility to make a regular backup to the USB-Stick?

All Replies

• Username_is_reserved
    Username_is_reserved Posts: 106  Ally Member

In the Case someone replay its possible to use a USB SSD for Backup?

A 2TB SSD got Cheaper this Days and there should nought space for a propper Logfile.

The old USG300 did Support atleast a USB Stick.

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,028  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @Michael_I

Here is the example shows how to use the USB device to store the system log information.

Note: Only connect one USB device. It must allow writing (it cannot be read-only) and use the FAT16, FAT32, EXT2, or EXT3 file system. This example was tested

Set Up the USB System Settings

Go to CONFIGURATION > System > USB Storage > Settings > General. Select Activate USB storage service if you want to use the connected USB device(s).

Set a number and select a unit (MB or %) to have the ZyWALL/USG send a warning message when the remaining USB storage space is less than the value you set here.

CONFIGURATION > System > USB Storage > Settings > General

Set Up the USB Log Storage

Go to CONFIGURATION > Log & Report > Log Settings, select USB Storage and click Activate. Click Apply to save your changes.

CONFIGURATION > Log & Report > Log Settings

Go to CONFIGURATION > Log & Report > Log Settings > USB Storage > Edit. Select Duplicate logs to USB storage (if ready) to have the ZyWALL/USG save a copy of its system logs to a connected USB storage device. Use the Selection drop-down list to change the log settings for all of the log categories.

CONFIGURATION > Log & Report > Log Settings

Check the USG Log Files

Connect the USB to PC and you can find the files in the following path:\Model Name_dir\centralized_log\YYYY-MM-DD.log

Hi @Username_is_reserved

To use USB SSD for device to test please follow the type below.

Note: Only connect one USB device. It must allow writing (it cannot be read-only) and use the FAT16, FAT32, EXT2, or EXT3 file system. This example was tested

• Username_is_reserved
    Username_is_reserved Posts: 106  Ally Member
    What is the max size of a USB Dongle who get supported?
    EXT3 should support 32 TiB!

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,028  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Username_is_reserved

It should be able to support up to 32TiB theoretically in ext3 format since we didn’t limit the file system size on the firmware. However, normally the USB port on the device is used to collect the device log, captured packets…etc. If you meant to install this 32TiB storage as a NAS server, it’s recommended to access the server through Ethernet instead of using USB port directly.

Security Highlight