Ingress and Egress

Options
Youssef
Youssef Posts: 5  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security

Hello, I am doing volunteer work at a not for profit organization. Since Zyxel USG310 router and parts of the network have been put in place, the network has not been reliable. The contractor left with not much documentation. I was able to access router configuration. Configuration: 

Port1: LAN
Port2-7: 6 x NBN WAN connections 

As part of simplifying for trouble shooting, if I set the Ingress and the Egress to 0 for all, would that likely to cause issues? We are not worried about Internet hoggers at this time.

Should I use spillover?

Thank you, Youssef

All Replies

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Hello Youssef,
    Could you please share what exactly you want to do?(purppose)
    As your description, do you mean you want to configure the 0 on the BWM? If you configure 0 which is meaning the ingress and egress traffic is not be limited.

Moreover, the function of spillover is that once traffic loading on wan1 exceeded the threshold within a measured period of time, device will transmits traffic through wan2. When the traffic loading on wan1 decreases to within the threshold, device redirects the next session through wan1 again. 

Here is some tips. If you are not sure this function on the GUI, you can click the "question mark" icon which include explanation of each feature. 

Charlie

• Youssef
    First Comment
    Options
    Thank you Charlie, I will give that a try.
    I am trying to examine how is the speed without any shaping.
    Again, since the new router/configuration were installed, even though there are 7 NBN as input as WAN, the speed is very sluggish.  The NBN is wireless based using 4 modems, and I do not have experience with wireless in business environment.
    I am not sure if the traffic shaping maybe is misconfigured? We do not have that many users, about 4-10 .
    It is hard to believe this is the speed to expect, specially with lack of consistency..

Since we are not concerned about people using too much traffic at this point, I thought better simplify. We can always put the same numbers back, or configure them later. Saying this however, there is a VoIP PBX in the the LAN side, hence my question about QoS.

Cheers and thanks again..
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Options
    Hello Youssef,
    For this case,
    I want to know what if you connect your PC to the wifi modern directly, will the throughput also as low as before when the ZyWALL is in between?
    Charlie
  • Youssef
    First Comment
    Options
    Hi Charlie,
    As I mentioned, I tested each port directly using PPPoe connection from my PC directly to the modem. it was about 40Mbs.
    I get less once aggregated. Somewhere between 12-30. I am not certain if it is all timing, and being wireless NBN, maybe it is the nature of the beast. That is why I was thinking disabling any traffic shaping, if it is enabled, to reduce yet another level of complexity.
    We had fiber before the router and NBN. So it is nothing to compare to.. 
    Cheers,
    Youssef
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Options

Hello Youssef,
    May I know have you enable UTM policy on the device? Since the every packet will be checked by UTM policy, firewall and BWM, it may effect maximum speed. Please disable the functions and check again.

Moreover, as your initially description, you mentioned the internet speed is very slowly.

If the internet speed is very slowly, could you please check the clients' usage, so you will know which clients occupy the bandwidth and manage his usage.
    You can go to traffic statistics>enable Collect Statistics>Apply>Select which Lan does clients connect and check traffic statistics.

Charlie

• Youssef
    First Comment
    Options
    Hi Charlie,
    Thanks for your email. The stats collection was enabled. I disabled it.
    We are in Peak Crossing, QLD, Australia

I notice it sluggishness comes in waves. As if broadcast storm is happening.

There is only one LAN (one segment). I can see who is the biggest talker, who I know runs streaming media over wifi. He is the biggest user I would say. But he is only streaming after hours anyway.
    Saying this however, the fact that there are 6 WAN lines going in and only one LAN connection,  you would think it would provide reasonable performance.
    There are also couple of people who have Apple products, which do like to broadcast about themselves using unicast. Should multicast be enabled?
    Cheers,
    Youssef

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Options
    Hello Youssef,
    For this case,
    I would like to check your configuration locally, so if possible, please pm it to me.
    Secondly, as your topology, may I know the part from NBN modem to ISP is modem connect with ISP via wireless or cable line?
    Thx 
    Charlie
  • Youssef
    First Comment
    Options
    Hi Charlie,
    are you suggesting the router configuration? Would you like to use teamviewer, see my documented router configuration, or export it somehow?
    NBN modems are connected to ISP through square wireless dishes.
    This is the topology map.
    Thank you for the follow-up.
    Youssef

Security Highlight