Adobe Flash Player getting phased out by end 2020

rth10260
rth10260 Posts: 3
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
The flash player is being used in the USG 20W admin interface.
I have not seen any announcement by Zyxel that they will offer an update to the firmware to compensate.
Is the Flash Player only used to present the "Virtual Device" view or will other components be harmed too?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @rth10260
    USG20W is EOL since 2018 and there won’t be new formal releases on this model. You may consider upgrade your hardware to ATP100W or USG FLEX100W which can run the latest firmware version and won’t have the flash display problem.
  • Thanks for the advice, though I am happy with the functionality as-is and don't have a real need to replace a working device.

I am aware of the EOL situation, but I would have hoped that phasing out of an admin interface component in the browser providers would be worth a minor update. I am not asking for firewall functionality upgrades. Nor do I know how much active devices are still in use for Zyxel invest into a patch of sorts.

As for the functionality, the ISP has upgraded their network over the years and is delivering speeds far over the bandwidth that the USG 20W can handle. Several months back I looked for potential replacement and had a USG 60W in view (also considering an easy migration of the configuration within the same product family). 

I guess by the time I decide to change the firewall device I will need to re-evaluate all offerings.
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @rth10260

We will recommend use ATP100W or Flex 100W for your environment.

Since it support more sensitive security and performance is higher than USG60W.

And also it is just launched product, the support life time will longer than USG60W.

• I didn't mention my environment, it's SOHO with no services like website open to the internet. Also all devices on the LAN/WLAN have their own AV products installed. Mail is provided by a outside third party. For me the additional services of a UTM bundle (or selected options) are not required. Also too there is a cost issue with the licenses.

I will take the support life time into consideration once I decide to move to newer technology.

Thanks and Happy holidays!

Security Highlight