[090605]Suggestion - Suggest user power cycle modem

DrPepper
DrPepper Posts: 35  Freshman Member
edited September 2017 in Archive 2017-2020
I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the world, but in the US it is standard with most of the major cable ISPs to restrict the modem connection to the first MAC address it sees.  For this reason, when changing to a new router (or going from a laptop plugged direction into the modem to a router) it requires the modem be power cycled.  In the app, on the screen indicating the user needs to be connected to the internet, if they are unable to clear this screen a help dialog or screen should suggest to power cycle their modem.

Comments

• Zyxel_Support
    Zyxel_Support Posts: 436  Zyxel Employee
    @DrPepper,
    Multy X is recommended to connect behind the broadband modem/router.
  • BetaGuest
    BetaGuest Posts: 1  Freshman Member
    That brings up another issue, does Multy X support clone MAC address? For cable broadband users, some use this as an alternative to connect when ISP wants to charge for network device rental.
  • DrPepper
    >Multy X is recommended to connect behind the broadband modem/router.

That doesn't address my issue.  My whole point is the router is behind the cable modem, but the cable modem won't pass traffic to a new MAC address unless you power cycle the modem.  

Our current install flow, tells the user to connect the Multy to their broadband connection and doesn't go further unless it detects a WAN connection.  However, if the user has not power cycled their modem, in many cases the Multy will never get any data passed to it because the modem is still locked to the MAC address of the previously connected device and will refuse to pass traffic or issue DHCP to the new device.
  • Zyxel_Support
    Multy X does not support MAC clone feature.

Current design, Multy X does not replace original router, it is provided better WiFi coverage and performance for user. We will add the description during the installation process.
  • DrPepper
    edited September 2017
    No.  Multy should replace ones original router unless it is an integrated modem/router that can't be removed.  Otherwise you end up with the situation of double-NAT and having two different WiFi networks in your home (Multy + original router).

The solution to my problem, which will affect a large number of US users is:
    A) Add a note in the setup process to power cycle their modem after connecting Multy.  Simple, clean, easy.
    B ) Later, allow the MAC clone feature. 

You solution for me makes no sense.

• Zyxel_Support
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    We will keep improved Multy X.
  • DrPepper
    I really want more than just a "thanks for your suggestion."  I want confirmation this change will be made by launch.  The majority of Americans use cable providers as their ISP, and locking the modem to the first MAC it sees at boot is standard practice.  This simple additional bit of text will reduce the number of negative reviews and returned units we will get.

• POP
    POP Posts: 6
    edited September 2017

We will add a note in APP let user know they need to power cycle their modem, thank you.