1910-24 - Port with connected NAS hangs after 1 day.

Rolf
Rolf Posts: 4  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi We have a 1910-24 Switch and the PORT where the NAS for our backups is connected hangs every 1 or 2 days. Meaning response time at a ping is 3 seconds. After disable and enable the port, backups work again and Response time is under 1 ms. What can we do to fix that Problem. The Switch has the most current Firmware. 

Comments

• CrazyTacos
    CrazyTacos Posts: 53  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi Rolf,

Slow ping response doesn't seem like traffic is being throttled. Or else you would have ping lose instead.

Is it possible that there were too much traffic entering the NAS server at the time? 
    Does the slow ping response occur constantly before port was disabled-enabled? Or were there periods where it was stable?
    How long did this slow ping response last before attempting to disable-enable the port?
    Are there any particular settings configured on the port to NAS?

• JasonTsai
    JasonTsai Posts: 104  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Rolf,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Does the ping issue happen when you ping the GS1910-24 or ping the NAS?

You may go to "Monitor -> Ports -> Traffic Overview" to see the statistic of the port to verify if there is error packet or packet drop be detected.

You may also verify if there is a service which will run per day on GS1910 and NAS. 

Hope it helps.

Jason
  • JasonTsai
    First Anniversary ZCNE Nebula Level 1 Certification - 2019 Friend Collector First Comment
    Hi @Rolf,

I just want to follow up on this topic.
    Is there still any problem on your GS1910?
    Keep us posted on the status of your case to get more support for you.

Thanks.
    Jason
  • Rolf
    First Comment
    Hi I have still same Problem on this Switch. After Port Reset and when i start Backup to the NAS, Ping Time is <1ms for 20 Min or so, but then it starts to rise upto 0.5 - 3 Seconds and even if i stop the backup, the Ping to the Nas stays "slow". I have tried many things already there, replacing cables (CAT6 STP), Configuring a Trunc, other Ports and so on. Nothing helps. The NAS has 2 other Ports connected to other LAN on same Switch by Trunc for other Servers. The Traffic from the other Servers Comes in also from a trunc. This 2 Ports never hang, but the ports where the traffice Comes from only a single LAN Line from the other server and then goes to the NAS by single port or by trunc starts always to be "slow" after some Minutes of Backup. I have tried also to Change MTU to higher size, but nothing helps. 
  • Rolf
    First Comment
    Additionaly. -> Thank you so much for your Replys !!!
  • Rolf
    First Comment
    I receive here on this Trunced Ports that go to the NAS a lot of RX CRC Alignement "Errors". 
  • JasonTsai
    Hi @Rolf,

RX CRC error usually indicates a physical problem(like the cabling, the port, or the NIC from another side) but can also indicate the setting on both sides (like duplex mismatch).
    May you share your traffic overview screenshot of "a lot of RX CRC Alignment Errors"?
    Note: You may clear the statistic first before the issue happens to make sure the CRC Error is related to this issue.

Please also help to verify the following:
    1. We suspect that the slow ping you see is related to the NAS, may you verify the CPU usage or Utilization in your NAS when the issue happens?
    2. What is the exact action when you "start backup to NAS"?
    3. Verify if the bandwidth is enough when the issue happens.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Jason
  • JasonTsai
    Hi @Rolf,

Just want to follow up on this topic.
    Do you verify the CPU usage of NAS and the bandwidth is enough when the issue happens?
    Please keep us posted to get more support for you.

Thanks.
    Jason