USG60W reboot now and then after upgrade to 4.30

Comments

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

SeaHawk do you have a BQM from thinkbroadband or VPN to Zywall? Or any address object with FQDN?

• SeaHawk
    SeaHawk Posts: 6  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Hi PeterUK,

Well use SSL VPN but no stationary VPN setup. No other FQDN other than IP number.
    Have static IP for connection to my Internet supplier.

/Christian
  • n8davis
    n8davis Posts: 1  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    We just setup (4) USG60Ws over the weekend with the 4.30(AAKZ.0) firmware. 2 of them are rebooting at random 1-2x / day. Let's say that our client is not very happy. I have submitted a support ticket to Zyxel but of course that will take some time to resolve. Any news on a fix or newer firmware?
  • VangelisP
    VangelisP Posts: 1  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    @n8davis It seems that we're also having the same issue, with a USG310 . Did you had any response from Zyxel support ticket ?
  • DennizOlof
    DennizOlof Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    SeaHawk, check that you are running on the 4.30 firmware as there are two firmwares you can use in this Zyxel. Also you should do a reset using the button on the unit and removing any left over configurations. And remove any scripts uploaded to the unit.

Of course once this is done you have to configure the unit from scratch. This is the only way to be sure if  there is something wrong with the firmware. It could also be a good thing to check the power brick, if it is flaky from some power surge, spikes from the power lines etc. That could also create strange things.

You can also downgrade the system to 4.25 and if you end up doing this and the product is stable, then continue with the 4.25 firmware. There is no point in upgrading to the latest firmware unless it does fix some issues you have. If you are on 4.X and the unit is working you could stay with that firmware.

My experience with firmware is that upgrading to the latest firmware is not always a good thing, if you have high demands for stability or for critical systems, you should wait or stay one or two firmwares behind. More safe that way.

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi all,

We aware that when some people upgrade their ZyWALL devices to the 4.30 firmware, there may have a chance their devices will reboot occasionally. We’ve noticed this issue and we’re currently working on it.

We will update the status on the forum when there’s any progress. 

Charlie

• spallared
    spallared Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited January 2018
    Hello, i've experienced random reboot too after upgrading to 4.30 on my USG 310 ZyXELL so i had to fallback to 4.25 that had run flawlessy since a couple of months.
    This morning my ZyXELL USG 310 with firmware 4.25 started to reboot randomly every few minutes, i was able to stop reboots only disabiling antivirus, content filter and app patrol... 
    I've collected the output of the command show software-watchdog-timer log but it's not easy to understand.

The only relevant (for me) informations i could find are:

<1>CPU 1 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0000000000000000, epc == 0000000000000000, ra == ffffffffc01fcb10
    <4>Oops[#1]:
    <4>CPU: 1 PID: 31390 Comm: contfltd Tainted: P         C O 3.10.20-rt14-Cavium-Octeon #2
    [..]
    <4>Code: (Bad address in epc)
    <4>
    <4>---[ end trace 152a43bd771e25ee ]---
    <0>Fatal exception: panic in 5 seconds
    <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Can some one help me if i provide the full log?

Thank you in advance 
    Luca
  • Johan
    Johan Posts: 26  Freshman Member
    @spallared Yes please provide full logs, check them first though so that you do not disclose any sensitive information.
  • spallared
    spallared Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Hello @Johan and thank you for replying. I just sent you the log as private message.
    This morning i made some other test and the result are quite strange. Yesterday i left enabled Content Filter for HTTP connections and the router ran for 24h without rebooting. This morning i tried to enable HTTPS and as soon as i applied the configuration the router rebooted itself. I unchecked HTTPS and created a new profile for App Patrol and as soon as i enabled this new profiled for one of my security policies the router rebooted again. 

Thank you
    Luca
  • Johan
    Johan Posts: 26  Freshman Member
    @spallared See my response in private message.

Security Highlight