How to configure port failure redundancy in Zyxel GS2210 24 Port Switch?

FAGHM
FAGHM Posts: 6
Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Switch Ideas
Hi ,

Kindly tell what will be the configuration of the switch? If I want to make any FE port as a backup of F/O port. For example: The assigned FE port will remain down until the F/O port is connected or UP. In case if the F/O port is down or disconnected then the assigned FE port turn on automatically. And when F/O will available again then FE port should turn off automatically.

I will be really grateful to have an urgent response.  
1 votes

In Plan · Last Updated

Zyxel will have a new feature we call "Flex Link" to achieve this kind of scenario.

Comments

• Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @FAGHM ,

Welcome to Zyxel Community,

Kindly inform that you may use port 25-28(combo port) for your demand. The fiber port of combo port has higher priority compare to Ethernet port.

For instance, once you connect cables to fiber port and Ethernet port to both port 25, the Ethernet will be linked down as a backup port.  However I don't really recommend you to use this way. The reason is that if the fiber port 25 is not fully dead(link down), which the connected cable has low quality causes service down, it will not switch the port from optic port to Ethernet port. 

Therefore, I suggest you to use spanning tree for ports and lower down the path-cost on optic port, so the optic port will be main link. 

For example, connect Ethernet port 24 and fiber port 28 to another switch, running RSTP. If both link are running 1G, you will need to change the path cost of fiber port to lower than 4. Here is the way to use STP as redundancy. 

Note: the default value of path cost is 4 for 1 Gigabit port

Hope it helps,
    Adam
  • FAGHM
    edited February 2021
    Hi @FAGHM ,

Welcome to Zyxel Community,

Kindly inform that you may use port 25-28(combo port) for your demand. The fiber port of combo port has higher priority compare to Ethernet port.

For instance, once you connect cables to fiber port and Ethernet port to both port 25, the Ethernet will be linked down as a backup port.  However I don't really recommend you to use this way. The reason is that if the fiber port 25 is not fully dead(link down), which the connected cable has low quality causes service down, it will not switch the port from optic port to Ethernet port. 

Therefore, I suggest you to use spanning tree for ports and lower down the path-cost on optic port, so the optic port will be main link. 

For example, connect Ethernet port 24 and fiber port 28 to another switch, running RSTP. If both link are running 1G, you will need to change the path cost of fiber port to lower than 4. Here is the way to use STP as redundancy. 

Note: the default value of path cost is 4 for 1 Gigabit port

Hope it helps, 

Hi
    Nebula_Adam,

Thank you so much for your time and response.

I've tested the Combo port by connecting the ETH port in the corresponding port of F/O port. But it didn't work. 
    Because until the SFP module is connected in the switch, its corresponding ETH port doesn't turned on (even if I totally disconnect the F/O from the SFP). Kindly tell, is there any configuration required to do this operation or it this functionality cannot be changed ?

Regarding your second solution. Let me explain you the actual scenario in more detail and then please guide me what should I do ?

I've 4 switches in the Network , Two different brand switches are connected together with a patch cord without any configuration (its required like this) . One F/O cable is coming from each switch. One is connected with Zyxcel switch  and other is connected with different model switch. "In any case I've to join these both connections." So that's why if any of the fiber is disconnected then I have to keep join all 4 switches. But If I am connecting another ETH patch cord between Zyxel and 4th Switch then whole network turn down. (Because one connection is already made between SW1 and SW2). 
    So now please tell , is it possible to configure the only Zyxel switch with STP to fulfill my requirement? 
    If the F/O is disconnected from SW1<-> Zyxel then ETH port (which I want to connect between Zyxel and 4th switch) will automatically turn on ? and when F/O is connected again then it will turn off automatically.?

Thanks in advance.
  • Zyxel_Adam
    Hi @FAGHM ,

Thanks for your reply.
    For the combo port, there is no configuration can adjust its behavior, unfortunately. 

Regarding your question about STP: 
    I understand your scenario. However, in order to fulfill your demand, I strongly recommend configure all switches with STP feature; otherwise your entire network will be down due to loop as you mentioned. In addition, when connecting both ETH port and Optic port, these two ports will be always on. The only way to do is to change the path cost to decide which link is the primary.

Note: when you connect two links between two switches with STP feature enabling, it can protect your network by blocking one of the port. 
    Adam
  • FAGHM
    Hi  @Nebula_Adam

Thank you so much for your response. 

Just confirm me one thing. Is it possible to enable STP only on the Zyxel switch? OR the corresponding switch also must be Zyxel or STP enabled? Because I want this functionality only on Zyxel switch not on others.  
  • Zyxel_Adam
    edited February 2021
    @FAGHM ,

The corresponding switch must enable STP as well, otherwise the STP feature will not work

Although the STP feature cannot fit your requirement, I can transfer this post to ideas section since this backup port might be a good idea for our switches. 

Adam