XGS1210-12 Link Aggregation

fonaminos
fonaminos Posts: 1
edited August 2022 in Switch
I bought a XGS1210-12 and wanted to connect my NAS with two eth interfaces via LAG mode 4 to the Switch. Looks like the XGS1210-12 is not supporting IEEE 802.3ad / LACP. Am i right? Can sombody tell me what LAG modes are supported under Linux?

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2020
    Hello @fonaminos

From looking at the user guide available at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/XGS1210-12/user_guide/ it seems like the XGS1210-12 does not support Etherchannel link aggregation with the Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) as defined in IEEE 802.3ad.

According to section 10.2 of the user guide, the XGS1210-12 switch only supports static link aggregation, i.e. where the Ethernet links are always bound together.

Maybe this will do what you want as long as you set both ends to always do link aggregation with the same number of Ethernet links and to not attempt any kind of LACP/PAgP negotiation for Etherchannel.
           - I had many fun hours with this when studying for CCNA Routing & Switching certification.

I hope that this is helpful.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Tony
  • Dexxer
    Dexxer Posts: 1
    I too have Synology NAS i set the XGS1210 as Balance XOR LAG on the NAS.

On the NAS it shows 2Gbps connection but in the XGS interface, it stills shows only 1Gbps LAG...  
    For some reason, the LAG is not working properly on this switch.

Was someone able to make it work and double his LAN speed on a NAS?
  • Boab21
    Boab21 Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I am having the same issue, trying to lag my qnap. Shows only as 2.5gbe connection. When I try transfer speed via spf port max speed 2.5gbe. No matter what settings I change or tweak I can’t get any faster than 2.5gbe.
  • I have just had the following confirmed 

It seems to be a hardware limitation, you can setup static link aggregation which will just support a active/passive state of the links with 2.5 Gbps per interface. 
    No increase of throughput is possible. For this you need load balancing which is not supported by this switch.

so what on earth is the point of there Lag??
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    edited February 2021
    Hi @Dexxer @Boab21,

Let me explain that link aggregation increase the available bandwidth between network devices.
    So if you aggregate four 1 Gbps ports, you'll get 4 Gbps available bandwidth.
    Then switch will hash the incoming traffic based on MAC address and ip address to do load sharing.
    However, one traffic flow goes one physical port and the maximum speed on one physical port is 1Gbps, so the maximum speed you see on the screen when sending the files will still be 1 Gbps.

Zyxel Melen

• napaHouk
    napaHouk Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Greetings. I also ran into this problem. Lack of IEEE 802.3ad aggregation in the switch. And please tell me, someone from Zyxel employees, is there such a possibility that the new firmware of the switch will support this mode of operation of port aggregation?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited April 2021

Let me explain that link aggregation increase the available bandwidth between network devices.
    So if you aggregate four 1 Gbps ports, you'll get 4 Gbps available bandwidth.
    Then switch will hash the incoming traffic based on MAC address and ip address to do load sharing.
    However, one traffic flow goes one physical port and the maximum speed on one physical port is 1Gbps, so the maximum speed you see on the screen when sending the files will still be 1 Gbps.
    So why has no one done a hash where it does least loaded so that a single connection traffic flow splits across the LAG?  
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @napaHouk,

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    I assume you are asking XGS1210, it won't support IEEE 802.3ad in future.
    If you need this function and also need 10G speed, we suggest us to choose XGS1930 or XS1930.
    If you just need this function and 10G speed is not needed, GS1900 fits your requirement.

Hope it helps.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited April 2021

LAG also hash the traffic.
    XGS1210 has these three LAG algorithm. Please refer the following image.

Hope it helps.

Zyxel Melen

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

Yes but I'm thinking of a LAG algorithm in say a two port LAG setup where a single connection thread is split down the two ports.