NWA1123-AC as an additional AP?

PeytonBirch
PeytonBirch Posts: 1
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I have a NWA1123-AC (not V2) that I wish to use as an additional access point on my network. I have a wireless router that sits in one end on the house, and the NWA1123-AC will be connected to it by a cable in the other end of the house. Both devices support both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi. Ideally, the NWA1123-AC would have the same SSID and authentication as the primary wireless router so that the wifi is seamless throughout the house.Can someone please explain what setup is needed to achieve this, or point me to a guide? I feel I have tried many different configurations across different AP modes, but none gave me the experience that I desire. I admit, while I am quite technically adept, I am no network expert, and the amount of options in the NWA1123-AC is a little overwhelming.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,656  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Not sure how much of the GUI is from my NWA1123-AC-HD is to the AP you have.

You want AP Mode for both 2.4G and 5G 

go to object > AP profile on the radio tab you can add your own profile for 2.4 and 5 or use/edit the default ones.

on the SSID tab go to security list tab and add your a profile for your wireless 
    Pre-Shared Key for wpa2 if your 2.4 and 5 use the same Pre-Shared Key you only need to make one.

go to SSID List tab and add your SSID of what your router SSID is using with security profile select the profile you made above and ok

go to wireless > AP management apply the radio profile and SSID Profile for the given radios and apply
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @PeytonBirch,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Yes, to deploy a seamless Wi-Fi coverage let clients roaming requires APs with same SSID and security setting.

Zyxel AP do supports roaming between different vendor, but the compatibility between models still have to test.

Thanks for @PeterUK describes the setting steps of NWA1123-AC-HD, it’s a little different of NWA1123-AC so here are the steps and screenshots for your reference.

Go to Configuration > Network > Wireless LAN:

1.      Security > click Edit of the Security profile and configure Security Settings.

We suggest to use WPA2 with Pre-Shared Key.

2.      on the SSID tab > click Edit to configure profile name and SSID, choose the Security profile in step1.

3.      Check the Wireless Setting in both 2.4G and 5G, choose the SSID profile in step2.

We’d appreciate your sharing after your deployment. Thank you

Regards,

Bella