Networking issue with Zyxel WLAN Controller and VLANs

Options
lucylinie21
lucylinie21 Posts: 1
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN

I'm kinda stuck with this issue, customer reported some screenshots from his iPhone, which doesn't really give away much information, but before I travel three hours to the customer, maybe somebody of you have an idea.

I have a Zyxel NXC2500 (WLAN AP Controller), which I recently reconfigured with the Zyxel-Wizard. This controller provides two VLANs: VLAN 1 for the internal network and VLAN 100 for the guest network. All interfaces expect the first one (gateway to the outside) of the controller are members of both VLANs, but only the packages on the VLAN 100 are tagged.

This setup works fine for the first two APs which are directly connected to the controller. The other two APs are connected to a Layer 2 switch, which is then connected to the WLAN controller. When you want to connect to the Guest network through one of those two APs, you won't get a connection (iPhone screenshot of the customer just states "no internet connection"). However, I see the DHCP request of the client on the controller and also that this iPhone requested an IP address approx. every five minutes. The internal network works fine other those two APs works fine.

My question: Is the Layer 2 switch somehow unable to redirect the tagged packages from the controller back to the responsible AP? Is there an issue with my VLAN configuration?

Any help is massively appreciated.

All Replies

• finsikesi64
    Options

I'm kinda stuck with this issue, customer reported some screenshots from his iPhone, which doesn't really give away much information, but before I travel three hours to the customer, maybe somebody of you have an idea.

I have a Zyxel NXC2500 (WLAN AP Controller), which I recently reconfigured with the Zyxel-Wizard. This controller provides two VLANs: VLAN 1 for the internal network and VLAN 100 for the guest network. All interfaces expect the first one (gateway to the outside) of the controller are members of both VLANs, but only the packages on the VLAN 100 are tagged.

This setup works fine for the first two APs which are directly connected to the controller. The other two APs are connected to a Layer 2 switch, which is then connected to the WLAN controller. When you want to connect to the Guest network through one of those two APs, you won't get a connection (iPhone screenshot of the customer just states "no internet connection"). However, I see the DHCP request of the client on the controller and also that th https://tweakbox.mobi/ is iPhone requested an IP address approx. every five minutes. The internal network works fine other those two APs works fine.

My question: Is the Layer 2 switch somehow unable to redirect the tagged packages from the controller back to the responsible AP? Is there an issue with my VLAN configuration?

Any help is massively appreciated.

issue got solved
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 437  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @lucylinie21

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

Thanks for your detail description. For your question, the switch must enable VLAN truncking or setup corresponding VLAN tagging to redirect packets.

Can you please check if above setting is correct on the switch?

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Hi @finsikesi64

Did you have similar situation and get resolved?

We’d appreciate if you could share your experience with us.

Thank you.

Regards,

Bella