VPN100 Upload on Gigabit Fiber Cut in Half.

I just got off with support so i figure i would chime in here.. Have a VPN-100, bought it to replace an aging Netgrar SRX5308 firewall, and i thought it was doing an admirable job.  Its on the latest 5.0 FW revision, and the last month i had been testing my upload speed, and its literally HALF of what i should be getting from my Gigabit FiOS.  Maxing out at 500 Meg..  I took the Zyxel out of the loop and ran straight from my ONT and got Full Speed so something is up with it.  I put my Old Netgear back in place and the speeds instantly are up to par 900 down and Up.  I have NO content filtering or ANY service running on the Zytel, and only 1 NAT Rule for my invoicing software.  I have seen people in the forums who had similar issues, but none of them were ever resolved?

I looked at the CPU usage on the Zytel, which should be better then my netgear, and it never passes 40%, yet its totally bottlenecking my network.  I had to remove it from the loop.  Question is, do i RMA it and see if a new one is better, or is this one just a shot series and i should look into something else..

Im befuddled.

All Replies

• I would like to add, i just did a factory reset to defaults, and speeds are still the same.  I also swapped out cables, rebooted the gigabit switch and all.  I put the original netgear back and im at full speed again.  10+ Year old firewall, outperforming a 1 year old Zytel.

• First 3 Speed tests, using the Zyxel VPN 100, Every single thing turned off, even the default profiles.. No Logs, No packet inspoection, Nothing.  You can see Download is Perfect.  Upload is 200-300 Meg Slower.  Top 3 tests are with my Netgear SRX5308.
  • I see there are new forums with people having the same issue, High speed Net, with speeds cut dramatically..  One of the things was to go into System/Advanced and cick off some high speed forwarding of packets, to which my firmware 5.0 does not have this option.  Also no comments from Zytel on this yet?
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

You might have been better off with a VPN300

So LAN to WAN is limited but WAN to LAN is ok.

Can you do a bridge test with WAN to DMZ and see what speeds you get.

• I will do the test for you when i get home and post results.  One would figure a Firewall that cost me over $500 would have the juice to handle a gigabit connection, and the more i read from other people who saw the same thing i did (2Gbps Firewall) have all been misled by this advertising, as its apparently very misleading.
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Its not TCP speed that the SPI firewall throughput (Mbps)*2

“Maximum throughput based on RFC 2544 (1,518-byte UDP packets).”

Also the upload test might be single threaded so test here.

Speed test - how fast is your internet? | DSLReports, ISP Information

Security Highlight