NWA1123ACv2 - no access to config page anymore, and slow connections if any

YvesP
YvesP Posts: 5
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I'm running a NWA1123ACv2, V6.10(ABEL.8), standalone, and it is the third time in the last 4 weeks that the login page is not accessible ("site can't be reached"). The wifi access has become slow for most connections (when they made it through the device). Rebooting solved the issue for some weeks. Log of what happened in the meantime has however been emptied, showing only entries dating back to 2020.
I've not rebooted it this time - to check how i can be helpd to understand what's going on. thank you.
edit: it is also not discoverable by ZON, and on Zyxel page where i registered the device, it told me that device was active.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @YvesP

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

May I know the AP GUI login page can’t reach is by wireless connection or directly connect by cable in the local network?

The clients can access network but with slow speed is related to your client amount and applications, also the signals and environment factor. We’ll need more information to do further check if you’d like to share with us.

Please check ZON setting with correct interface for discovery.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• YvesP
    Dear Bella, thank you for suggesting alt ways to connect to the AP. Actually, none of the methods worked (neither from LAN, nor WLAN, nor ZON -lan and wlan on iphone sides-) this time. The AP was unreachable this time. Eventually, i did a factory reset with the button on the back of the AP, and could reconnect.

In a previous occurence (~3 weeks ago) of similar issue in which i could not log in, the AP was reachable, but would either not recognise my admin/password or tell me that there were too many admin connections (although i did not activate the limit verification). 

This is all very bizarre behavior for an AP which is less than 5 months in service. I am under the impression that the AP performance is going down with ageing uptime. Rereading the doc, i checked and both hw and sw heartbeats are activated by default, and i would have counted on these to reboot the AP, should there be issues -e.g. memory leaks, drifting configuration, etc...-

Any views on how to avoid these situations/what to do when it re-appears?
    thank you.
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @YvesP

The AP GUI can’t be login by your admin/password seems like the AP is in managed mode which will override the setting. Do you register the AP to Nebula or have AP controller in the topology?

Please help to collect diaginfo before reboot or reset at Maintenance page and send me the file via private message. Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• YvesP
    Thank you Bella, I did not register it to Nebula (that i know of - operating it as standalone), and i don't have an ap controller on the network. It was only the previous crash where i could reach the login page but not log in. Yesterday, even the login page was unreachable (and no reply to ping or ssh either).

I've collected the diagnostic file, and i have now realised that my PM did not include it, as the system does not allow to PM you the zipped tarball. 
    kind regards
    Yves

• Zyxel_Bella

Hi @YvesP

If the AP is in standalone, the AP and PC you use for access AP should be in same local network or the traffic is always allowed to pass in your route policy.

When the AP is not reachable, the PC is same subnet or the traffic needs to pass the route?

May I know the AP’s IP is offered by DHCP server or manually configured as static IP?

In most seen cases, the IP conflicts with other device or the DHCP pool is full to cause the issue. You can confirm the AP’s IP at DHCP table at server when you ping the AP.

It will be helpful if you'd like to share the topology and interface configurations with us.

Please uncheck the enable at the page Configuration > Network > NCC Discovery to prevent AP become managed mode.

I’ve received your message and provide window for you to send diaginfo.

Regards,
    Bella
  • YvesP
    Thank you Bella,
    - NCC discovery: now disabled.
    - AP and PC are on the same local network (same subnet, same mask). When the AP was unreachable, even ZON did not find the AP although it uses broadcast as far as i know.
    - now (after factory reset), the AP is in DHCP. I normally prefer fixed IP and i had set a fixed IP previously (when the AP crashed, it had fixed IP) outside of the DHCP window of addresses.
    - I had successfully tried with the AP in a separate subnet (and added persistent route), and removed this setup at the first crash (also thinking that it was due to my network setup).
    no problem to share topology and if configuration, as it is quite a straightforward setup: topology is now same subnet, AP set by wizard, that is radio 2.4 and 5g active and serving the same ssid, and i'm using 5 different ssid (active on both radio).
    let me know if you need something else,
    kind regards
    Yves
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @YvesP

Thanks for the information.

We have the image of your current topology now.

Can you monitor and tell me the result of these two setup for some days.

-        If the unreachable problem (both use ping and ZON can’t find the AP) happens again by using DHCP configuration.

> We’ll proceed to help you RMA the device.

-        Can’t login with admin/password now even NCC discovery disabled.

> Please provide the diaginfo for further investigate.

Regards,

Bella

• YvesP
    Thank you Bella. OK, will do.