Does WAX510D support 40MHz on 2.4G?

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,656  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

I still think this is a bug but will give up after this try.

After a reboot of the WAX510D with 2.4G 11ax 20/40MHz

When I change channel width to 20MHz ok then back to 20/40MHz it stays at 40MHz even with no clients connected or connect forever.

• PeterUK

So I wanted to test this more so got a tp-link AC1900 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB WiFi Adapter that has 11n: Up to 600Mbps(dynamic) 2.4GHz

Rebooted the WAX510D connected the Adapter speed reads 173.3Mbs

Did the change channel width to 20MHz ok then back to 20/40MHz and the Adapter speed reads 400Mbs.

So yes there is a problem.

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee

Hi @PeterUK

Thanks for always sharing and concerning the experience of Zyxel product.

We’re checking the mechanism of 2.4GHz using channel width 20/40MHz and will update you more detail information.

Regards,

Bella

• Zyxel_Bella

Hi @PeterUK

To ensure that the mechanism is correct, we re-tested WAX510D in the shielding room. After applying 40MHz channel width on 2.4G radio profile, AP can always be maintained at 40MHz and the AP is also keeps at 40MHz after reboot. Because there is no legacy device in the environment. Therefore, it is confirmed that WAX510D can provide 40MHz in band 2.4G.

But after import a legacy device into the environment, channel width did not drop to 20M even trigger like DCS to force scan, until AP reboot then can became 20M. This situation is consistent with your situation, so we confirmed the problem here.

We would like to confirm with you again that your expectation of the AP is to use 40MHz to provide services at 2.4G? If so, we can provide commands to force fix the channel width.

Regards,

Bella

• PeterUK

So I'm on firmware V6.20(ABTF.0) the 2.4G is set to 20/40MHz I reboot I connect only usb tp-link AC1900 to the 2.4G and windows says link speed is 173.3Mbps. I then change the channel width to 20MHz ok then back to 20/40MHz ok and the tp-link AC1900 in windows reads link speed 400Mbs.

• Zyxel_Bella
    Answer ✓

Hi @PeterUK

Yes, the behavior in your test after reboot is correct but has to become 20MHz after 20/40MHz applied. We’ll fix the problem in the future version.

If your expectation of the AP is to use 40MHz to provide services at 2.4G, you can use the command to disable-coexistence after configure channel width to 40MHz.

Router# configure terminal

Router(config)# wlan-radio-profile default

Router(config-wlan-radio default)# dot11n-disable-coexistence

dev.wifi1.dcs_manual_ch = 1 0

Setup 2.4G 11AX HE40 channel 6

dbctl> DB Success!

dbctl> DB Success!

dbctl> DB Success!

dbctl> DB Success!

Reload DCS Configuration file

Router(config-wlan-radio default)# exit

Router(config)# write

Please noted that in the normal environment, there are a lot of frequency using radio 2.4GHz and causing the interference so a single 20MHz channel will be more stable to use in radio 2.4GHz. Also for legacy client can connect to 2.4GHz SSID without compatible problem.

Regards,

Bella

• PeterUK
    With V6.25(ABTF.1)   20/40MHz is now completely broken not even my trick of getting it to   20/40MHz works any more my  tp-link AC1900 link speed now only shows 173.3Mbps instead of 400Mbs that I used to get. 
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @PeterUK

If you upgraded firmware, the commands will not be reserved so you have to apply the commands again.

We tested the commands with V6.25p1 and it works fine.

Could you share your steps for us? Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• PeterUK

The commands for changing 20/40MHz on 2.4G may look like they work but they don't I had 20/40MHz working on V6.20(ABTF.0) by changing to 20MHz then to 20/40MHz and my USB tp-link AC1900 confirmed this by link speed of 400Mb now all I get is link speed 173.3Mb.

• Zyxel_Bella

Hi @PeterUK

We tested again with V6.20 & V6.25 with the commands and result are the same as below.

Before applying commands, the channel width is 20MHz and link rate is about 200+

Then force AP to run channel width 40MHz, the link rate becomes about 500+

Do you apply write at the end of commands? We’d appreciate if you can provide us more information such as steps or screenshot.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella