How to turn on Anti-Arpscan on an XGS3700

imaohw
imaohw Posts: 123  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited August 2022 in Switch
I have 4 XGS3700 switches (latest firmware) configured in a stack.  I am trying to turn on Anti-Arpscan but cannot find the option on the Advanced Application menu. 

Any suggestions?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    edited May 2021
    Hi @imaohw,

Good day.
    Do you mean you can't find Anti-Arpscan in Advanced Application menu or you can't access Anti-Arpscan?

Zyxel Melen

• imaohw
    @Nebula_Melen - I can not find it in the menu.  The manual says it should be on the Advanced Application Menu.  It does not appear there.  See below:

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @imaohw,

Good day.
    XGS3700 support Anti-ARP scan in standalone mode but no support in stacking mode.

Zyxel Melen

• imaohw
    edited May 2021
    @Nebula_Melen - could you please point me to where in the manual it says that Anti-ARP scan is only supported in stand alone more?

There are features, such as IPV6 Source Guard, where the manual clearly shows it is only supported in standalone mode. Anti-ARP scan is not one of those features as far as I can see.

Why is it not supported in stacking mode? Is it not possible to implement or was the firmware for stacking mode never finished?

How can Zyxel sell switches that are stackable to implement redundancy but leave out features that are implemented in standalone mode. It seems like Zyxel implemented stacking but gave up before completing the full feature set that was implemented in standalone mode.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    edited May 2021

Hi imahow,

We had wrote a notice shows that Anti-ARP scan is only supported in standalone mode in the release note 4.30(AAGC.1)C0.

But this notice had not been record in release note 4.30(AAGC.2)C0 because we record what feature had been enhanced/fixed in this patch.

We don't record the features which were enhanced/fixed in previous patch.

For this part, we will improve datasheet to add notices for features which support on standalone only.

Ex. Anti-ARP scan(Standalone mode only).

In addition, new models like XGS4600 can support Anti-ARP scan in both standalone and stacking mode, but unfortunately XGS3700 is an old model and anti-ARP scan support on standalone mode only.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Zyxel Melen

• imaohw
    @Nebula_Melen thank you for that information.

I am surprised that Zyxel employees keep referring to the XGS3700 as an "old model".  It is listed on the Zyxel website as a current model, as of today it is being sold by Zyxel distributors, and it does not appear in the Zyxel published EOL devices document for the US.  To any reasonable potential customer reviewing the Zyel website and included information it is not an "old model" it is a current model!

The XGS3700 may have been abandoned by Zyxel as evidenced by the facts that the firmware was never made feature complete for stacking mode (as documented in the manual) and Zyxel employees keep referring to it as old. But it is a current model promoted on Zyxel's website.

As far as putting clarifications about features in release notes, that is not acceptable from a customer perspective if you don't also update the published manual.  Release notes are not readily accessible for a potential customer looking for information on your products.  The manual is readily accessible.  If the manual is wrong you need to update it not put the correction in release notes.  Customers and potential customers rely on the manual.  As of today, more than 4 years after the quoted release notes were published the XGS3700 user guide has still not been updated.

In addition, on the Xyxel website for downloads for the XGS3700 there is a Handbook which details how to setup Anti-ARP Scan. If that feature is not available in stacking mode it should be clearly stated.

As far as telling me that the XGS4600 has more features when in stacking mode, thank you but it is unlikely that I will be purchasing any other Zyxel equipment.  If I can't rely on the published manuals to document the implemented features I can't reasonably recommend the equipment.
  • Zyxel_Amy
    Zyxel_Amy Posts: 5  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi imahow

We are sorry that the datasheet did not clearly indicate the amount of details for features but the new edition of the datasheet has tried to improve it. We continue to refine our documentations so they are handy references for our customer.  Please also understand that Zyxel Switch does not have additional charge for continuous firmware releases to offer new features and bug fixes over the time with our intention to grow with our customer.

Back to the specific feature of Anti-ARP Scan, it was originally requested by a customer who needs this in standalone mode only.  Moving the feature on to stacking requires additional resource to conduct more thorough system verification.  The reason why we have not done so is the lack of demand from the market so we put our resources on new features that has more demanding request.  Once again, we apologize for the inconveniences that this has bring you.    

With Best Regards,

Amy