VLAN Mapping N:1

netdsn
netdsn Posts: 4
edited August 2022 in Switch Ideas
Hi Guys,

I'm having a situation where I need to map many VLANs to one VLAN.
I've tried to configure this on a GS2220 and a XGS1930 but as I can see the switches only support 1:1 VLAN mapping.

When I configured to translate VLAN 1001 to 103 on port 10 and I want to add another Mapping VLAN 1002 to 103 on port 10 I get the error message:
Error : There is a conflict with other vlan-mapping rule”

Do any of the other Zyxel switch models support N:1 VLAN mapping?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards
John

0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @netdsn,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

Firstly, I would like to remind that VLAN is a data link layer (OSI layer 2) constructs.
    Yes, VLAN mapping do only supports 1:1 mapping, as if had been configured N:1, the traffic won't be able to determine the way back (which N) to send the traffic.

Based on your description, using routing protocol could achieve the goal, but of course you'll need a router.

If there is any misunderstanding, please describe the detail scenario or any technology documents for reference.

Best regards,
    Jonas
    Jonas,
  • netdsn
    Hi Jonas,

thanks for your answer.
    We get many VLANs from an external system that we need to map to a guest VLAN and we cannot route them.
    I can understand the design limitation on layer2 but other companies manage to do this:

Regards
    Jonas

• netdsn
    Hi Jonas,

thanks for your answer.
    We get many VLANs from an external system that we need to map to a guest VLAN and we cannot route them.
    I can understand the design limitation on layer2 but other companies manage to do this:
    <a rel="nofollow" href="https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1000178168/67f5f3d1/example-for-configuring-vlan-id-based-n1-vlan-mapping" title="Link: https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1000178168/67f5f3d1/example-for-configuring-vlan-id-based-n1-vlan-mapping">https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1000178168/67f5f3d1/example-for-configuring-vlan-id-based-n1-vlan-mapping</a>
    <br>
    Regards,
    John

• netdsn
    Hi Jonas,

thanks for your answer.

Regards
    John

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @netdsn,

Thanks for the reference link:
    After studying the behavior of HuaWei, more likely, the switch could process to send inner/outer tagged VLAN from the same switch using VLAN mapping N:1.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll consider this idea, this post will be transfer to our Idea section, anyone who like this idea can vote/like or leave a comment below.  :) 

Jonas,
    Jonas,