ATP800 - SSL VPN is slow

Hey everyone,

I did the setup of a SSL VPN on our new ATP800 (setup was super fast and straightforward). The problem we're facing now is that we suffer from a really slow speed through the VPN.

We have a 500D/100U Mbps on site.

Through the VPN we barely have 600KB/s.

I tried to look on the net to search for a magic option hidden somewhere but didn't  really find anything yet.

I thank you all in advance.

Best regards,

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    @Antoine_Richez

As current design, SSL VPN will have an disadvantage(in compare with L2TP) when it comes to throughput. It could be limited to 10-20Mbps. 

Also, RDP uses a lot of it's bandwidth for screen data and instruction transfer. It's not exactly designed as a file transfer protocol. 

To get the better performance, you could establish the L2TP with FTP download or use teamviewer as remote tool for downloading.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Charlie
    @Antoine_Richez
    Can I know what is the way you got the VPN performance, SMB, FTP or Http?
    I would like to establish the SSL VPN from my side, therefore can you private message the remote information to me?
  • @Zyxel_Charlie
    I've sent you a message with the corresponding informations.

Have a nice day.
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    @Antoine_Richez
    Thanks for your information.
    If possible, I would like to know the RDP information of this scenario for check further.

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 104  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security
    Did you get an solution? Please keep us also up to date.
    I think it's a generic problem, the speed of the SSL VPN is bad.
    See in the Ideas section, and please upvote the Wirequrard request.
    Mario

• Zyxel_Charlie
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    @Antoine_Richez

As current design, SSL VPN will have an disadvantage(in compare with L2TP) when it comes to throughput. It could be limited to 10-20Mbps. 

Also, RDP uses a lot of it's bandwidth for screen data and instruction transfer. It's not exactly designed as a file transfer protocol. 

To get the better performance, you could establish the L2TP with FTP download or use teamviewer as remote tool for downloading.

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 104  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security
    >As current design, SSL VPN will have an disadvantage(in compare with L2TP) when it comes to >throughput. It could be limited to 10-20Mbp
    Is it on the roadmap to fix this design issue?
    Openvpn or Wireguadr are known solutions to solve such problems ;)

Security Highlight