Loosing internet connection when attach additional interface

Options
2»

All Replies

• RichardSteiner
    Options
    PeterUK said:

Your drawing does not seem to match up with what your saying....

Try with a PC/laptop only to ports 3,4 and 5 if that works add the switch to port 3 with just a PC/laptop to the switch. 

If my drawing does not match, then it seems I made a mistake :-/ Can you give me a hint what is wrong or not matching?

Good idea, I honestly never discomnnected the switch on port 3. So I will try out to connect a 3rd Laptop and nothing else.
  • RichardSteiner
    RichardSteiner Posts: 9
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In the meanwhile we did further testing with the firewall. My assumption is currently a hardware failure.

To do further testing we reset our firewall with the default configuration, by pressing the reset switch until the system led starts flashing. P2 (WAN1), I connected to our gateway. On P4 (LAN1) with DHCP enabled, I connected my laptop and got the IP 192.168.1.33. The firewall has 192.168.1.1. Over the webaccess I answered all questions of the wizard, entered a static ip for the firewall on the WAN1 and the gateway address. Afterwards I had access from my laptop to the internet. On the cli of the webinterface I entered "ping google.com forever". The ping was working no packet loss. Then I connected a little 8 port Zyxel (GS-108B v2) switch to P5 and no other devices connected to that switch. I did again a ping from the firewall with the following result:

--- google.com ping statistics ---
    12 packets transmitted, 4 received, 66% packet loss, time 11002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.420/3.769/4.175/0.308 ms

Then I connected a second 8 port Zyxel switch to P6, and then I had 100% packet loss, so I lost connection to the webinterface from my laptop. Then I unplugged the two switches, and the firewall was working again as expected. Then I plugged in the switches on P7 and P8 which leaded again to total outage without reaching the webinterface anymore. I tested further ports, always with the same result. As soon as one switch was connected, I had package loss and two switches connected I lost the connection completely. 

So now I have to convince the support, that this strange situation really happened, so that we hopefully get a replacement device. 

Please if anyone still has an Idea what could cause this issue, or if someone has any idea what I could try out next, please answer me. 

Kind regards

Richard
  • Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options

Hi @RichardSteiner,

Can you capture packets from WAN interface when you type “ping google.com forever” to WebGUI’s CLI for the scenarios below:

(Maintenance > Diagnostics > Packet Capture > Capture)

1-    When only your laptop attached to your USG FLEX500

2-    When your laptop attached to P4, and your Zyxel (GS-108B v2) attached to P5

3-    When your laptop attached to P4, your Zyxel (GS-108B v2) attached to P5, and another 8 port Zyxel switch attached to P6.

Please provide me 3 packets for these 3 different scenarios and send me by private message.
  • RichardSteiner
    Options
    We sent our firewall to our supplier. Our seldom and strange problem could be reproduced on our firewall, but not on a new replacement firewall. Since the firmware was updated and the same configuraiton used, it must have been a hardware failure. 

Thanks for everyone who tried to help.

Kind regards
    Richard

Security Highlight