WiFi Controller - From USG310 to ATP500 (cannot move APs)

CSCComo
CSCComo Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Hi. we have just acquire a new customer. The assistance they had before installed a USG310 and enabled WiFi controller function to control 9 NWA-5121ni APs.
Now we replaced the firewall with an ATP500. It should be able to control 34 APs with gold license (first year). When I try to connect the AP Network to the new ATP, I cannot find any AP. We tried to reconnect the old firewall, put out an AP from the AP group, reset it and, while resetting, connecting the network to the new ATP but nothing... The ATP cannot see it, but if I reconnect the USG, il find the AP immediatly. I tried to access to the AP, but I'm locked out (also to the others). Tried to check the firmware, but it seems that the old firewall was correctly configured to update it.... How can I disconnect the APs to the old controller????

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @CSCComo

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Can you shutdown USG shutdown or make it outside the topology and re-connect APs to ATP500 wait for a while?

If the AP and ATP500 are on the same subnet, the AP will automatically detect and connect to ATP500.

After AP successfully communicated to ATP500, the AP appears in the AP List on MONITOR > Wireless > AP Information page.

Then you have to select APs and click “+” button to add APs to the managed AP list.

Regards,

Bella

• Cava
    Cava Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2021
    Hi. We completly replaced the usg with atp in the rack, but after half an hour, we couldn't find any AP, so we made some try with the old one. We didn't try to restart APs, but we resetted one while it was connected to the new firewall
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @Cava

Because CAPWAP has four types to do auto discovery, we’d like to know if you’ve set DHCP Option 138 or other methods instead of broadcast.

Can you apply this command by ssh into AP to check the discovery type and ac-ip:

Router: show capwap ap info

Controller only replied the CAPWAP packet when receives from AP.

The ac-ip must be the IP of ATP500 or AP will not send CAPWAP packet to ATP500.

Regards,

Bella

• CSCComo
    Sorry for 2 accounts. We both are working together. In the old firewall there is nothing configured for this. I'm in place now. 0 WiFi.... Now I shutdown first floor to check but nothing works
  • CSCComo
    Ac-ip 192.168.2.1 (I changed this on old fw to .20.1 and put .2.1 on new fw.... so probably that's the problem ...)
    Fallback disable
    FB into 30
    Discovery type DHCP
    Sm state disc2
    Msg-buf-usage 0/10
    Capwap version 10003
    Radio number 1/4
    BSS number 8/8
    Iana Id 037a
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @CSCComo and @Cava

What’s the firmware version of ATP500 and NWA-5121ni?

Please upgrade ATP500 to latest firmware version and apply this command by ssh into AP to check the capwap status:

Router> show capwap ap info

Regards,

Bella

• CSCComo
    Firewall 5.00 ABFU.2
    Access point 5.10 AAID.8 v1.26

Now I'm trying to bypass a gs1900-8hp switch
  • CSCComo
    I can't find on AP the mgnt mode menu
  • CSCComo
    We found the problem l. I don't know how were configured the switches (no vlan on firewall). We resettled them and so everything gone right
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @CSCComo

When change the settings of ac-ip or deploy a new device/topology, ensure the corresponding interfaces had been configured well is the way to prevent devices loss communication.

Thanks for the update. It’s nice to hear your problem resolved.

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Bella