Secure WiFi license prevents used of managed APs

dkyeager
dkyeager Posts: 69  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Is my issue with Secure WiFi license a configuration issue, bug, and/or over zealous marketing?

When I bought my USG Flex 500 it came with 8 AP licenses for AP Management.  Now I can not edit my AP list.  I get this:

Secure WiFi license is not activated. The configuration will be saved but will not take effect.

Followed by a little shopping cart and this link: Secure WiFi Connectivity Service | Zyxel

No remote APs (all on one site).  Using management and regular VLANs.  So I don't think this should apply. This is with a WAX610D.

Not into mandatory new features that will cost money.   I don't see any price for this license but do see a 90 day license and a 30 day trial in my account. 

Zyxel USG Flex 500's AP management is not the most friendly system in the world, but I did previously have it working on a home test system.  Seems like if there are errors, direct config file editing might be required.

Any suggestions on this issue?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @dkyeager

We provide every registered USG FLEX a 90 days Secure Wi-Fi License for free before Jun. 30th as you seen in your account.

Normally, the configurations of managing APs won’t effect if you don’t need to use Secure Wi-Fi feature.

Can you capture a screenshot of the problem you faced and provide the configurations you are using?

Thanks

Regards,

Bella

• dkyeager
    I was pulled onto other projects for a few days. After cold rebooting another time, I was able to add my current APs and everything looked good yesterday, however 8 hours later, all were marked off line.  Even after another cold reboot the WAX650S, WAX610D, and WAX510D were up and available to users but not manageable.  Mgmt. AP List | AP Information says "config setting OK" for each AP.  All traffic uses VLANs which flow from the USG Flex 500.  All firmware is the latest version.  Nothing noteworthy in the logs after reboot. I will message you the config file.

• dkyeager
    After I left the above reply I noticed a new update for the USG Flex 500 with a note on "[AP Controller] 1. [ENHANCEMENT] Supported AP image upgrade to 6.20p0c0." and wonder if this might address my issue.  I did start the trial mentioned above just to get rid of that variable.
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @dkyeager

The latest firmware version of AP is V6.20 so you can see the AP controller supported AP upgrade to V6.20. The AP management won’t effect by firmware version but we suggest to upgrade for bug fixed and enjoy the new features.

We’ve received your private message and will update you if needed.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• Motivio
    Motivio Posts: 21  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    Hi,
    I have the same issue with the "Secure WiFi" and the request to activate the license for 90 days.
    But event better, is the issue after "Secure WiFi" has expired, in the AP Management it will remind you that without a "Secure WiFi" License it will nor save any changes in big red at the bottom of the screen. Zyxel support is looking into my case already.
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Hi @Motivio

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    We've got the requested from front line support.
    We'll update if any conclusion figure out.
    Thanks

Regards,
    Bella

• CAS
    CAS Posts: 3
    Friend Collector
    Hi all.
    Same problem with VPN50 after upgrade FW to release 5.02(ABHL.0).
    When try manage AP i see:
    "Secure WiFi license is required. Конфигурация будет сохранена, но не вступит в силу."

• Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    edited August 2021
    Hi @CAS

Cloud you please provide us the screenshot where you see the error message?

Like @Zyxel_Bella said, the red message is not related to the AP managed issue. The process is still the same: see the AP in the List, click the "+" button, and wait for it turns online status.
    And if the AP is already managed before f/w upgrading, it should still be able to get managed after firmware upgrade.

May I know in which step did you see the message? This way we can further check what settings could have issue.

Meanwhile, you can try to reboot the AP and connect to the VPN50, and check if it is managed successfully.

Best Regards,
    Richard
  • CAS
    CAS Posts: 3
    Friend Collector
    edited August 2021
    Hi, Richard.
    After upgrade FW i view this:

Try to of/on Zyxel VPN50, but no changes.

Hi @CAS

Like @Zyxel_Bella said, the red message is not related to the AP managed issue. The process is still the same: see the AP in the List, click the "+" button, and wait for it turns online status.
    And if the AP is already managed before f/w upgrading, it should still be able to get managed after firmware upgrade.

Yes, I can change AP's settings, but this "red message" misinforming me & imho not only me.

Hi @CAS

May I know in which step did you see the message? This way we can further check what settings could have issue.

Best Regards,
    Richard
    When try change AP's settings

And more, every time when i logon to web interface i see massage:
    "port: p2led has undefined status:orange"

May be this information help...
  • Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    Hi,

Sorry for the misguide display, the red bar is simply for the promotion purpose, and won't impact your AP management function, so don't worry about this notification. As for the improvement, we'll have internal discussion about how to improve this display issue.

As for the error message in the login page info, could you please help us to collect the start-up configuration of your VPN50 and send it to me through private message? we'll further check if there's any issue on it.

(Maintenance > File Manager > Configuration file, select "startup.conf" and press download)

Best Regards,
    Richard

Security Highlight