XGS1930-28 loses connection to router after I shut down my PC.

Leicester
Leicester Posts: 3
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi all, I'm trying to resolve this problem for at least a month now and I'm truly stuck.
I have a NAS and a couple of PCs and Raspberries connected to my XGS1930-28. Every night, about 1-2h after I shut down my workstation, the switch loses its connection to my router (the router is supplied from my ISP - generic brand).

Some info that might help/be relevant:
  • My workstation (IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.59) is connected via copper 10Gbit/s through an "SFP+ to copper" transceiver. It runs on 5Gbit/s because there are too many connections in the cables or the cables are too long. Recently I've upgraded this connection. I was using the onboard 2.5Gbit/s port of the motherboard, now I use an ASUS 10Gbit/s PCIe card. Unfortunately, I'm not certain of when the problems started, pretty sure though it was before I got this card.
  • My NAS (IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.21-25) is connected by 4x1Gbit/s copper and 1x10Gbit/s through an "SFP+ to copper" transceiver. This connection has been working flawlessly for over a year.
  • Everything else is 1Gbit/s, including the link to the router.
  • The switch isn't set up for Nebula anymore. I don't like it.
  • My NAS runs a couple of online services (backup location via SMB, VoIP server, file share, NFS, and a couple more) which use the port-forwarding rules of my router.
I'd be really thankful for any help or even ideas. I've tried everything I know about and am quite desperate at this point. Can't afford another switch that has 10G.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Leicester,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!
    Appreciate for sharing the scenario.
    Every night, about 1-2h after I shut down my workstation, the switch loses its connection to my router (the router is supplied from my ISP - generic brand).
    Seems that the problem is always happening, I would like to clarify some information below:
    1. may I know how did you determine that the switch loses the connection to the router? Is it because NAS online services were interrupted?
    2. when the problem happens, does the end devices can ping the switch and the router?
    3. may I know how did you manage to have the service come back?
    4. if convenient, could you share the router-specific model?
    5. when is the problem occurs? Is it since day 1?

In addition, when the problem happens again, please help to collect the tech support located at web GUI > Management > Maintenance > Tech-Support > Download All.
    NOTE: Don't post it in public. I'll PM you to retrieve the tech support.
    Jonas,
  • Hi and thanks for your answer!

1. In different ways. Firstly, all devices connected to the switch are offline and un-pingable. The router doesn't show them under connected devices, even the switches IP is marked as disconnected.
    2. No they cannot.
    3. The services come back up when I start my workstation PC which is connected to the switch via a ASUS 10Gbit/s RJ45 card, Cat6a and a MikroTik SFP+ copper module.
    4. Yes and no. It is a generic router from my ISP. This one: https://www.swisscom.ch/de/privatkunden/produkte/internetrouter/details.html/internet-box-3-ip-11039000?useCase=ROUTERRETENTION
    5. Unfortunately I don't know exactly, might be since I've installed the ASUS 10Gbit/s card in my PC. Before I did, the PC was connected on the onboard 2.5Gbit/s NIC (it's an ASUS Strix X570-e mainboard) to the same MikroTik SFP module.

I'm now trying to locate the problem. I've unplugged everything from the switch except for the router and the 1Gbit/s ports from the router. Problem didn't occur. Then I pluggen in the 10Gbit/s port from the NAS, no problem. Next I'm gonna try plugging in the workstation and see if the problem comes back. Unfortunately the problem only occurs 1-2h after I shut down my workstation, which I need for work, so I can only make 1 or 2 tests per day.

My suspicion is that the ASUS 10Gbit/s card of my workstation does something weird to the switch.

Thanks for your time, if you have any ideas what settings I could try on the switch to not act like that, I'd be very helpful. Maybe some settings on the SFP port where he workstation is connected might do the trick.
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Hi @Leicester,

Thanks for the information and the test.
    I'm now trying to locate the problem. I've unplugged everything from the switch except for the router and the 1Gbit/s ports from the router. Problem didn't occur. Then I pluggen in the 10Gbit/s port from the NAS, no problem. Next I'm gonna try plugging in the workstation and see if the problem comes back. Unfortunately the problem only occurs 1-2h after I shut down my workstation, which I need for work, so I can only make 1 or 2 tests per day.
    Based on the description, while the workstation is not connected to the switch, the issue hasn't happened which means because there is no link to switch anymore.
    Could you help me check that after the workstation was turned off, is the switch port LED still link up? And after 1-2 hours when the issue happens, is the port LED still have a link?
    If yes, may I know what's the LED light color is? Therefore, I could try to replicate it in my LAB.

Thanks.
    Jonas,
  • I will do this test this weekend, thank you!
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Hi @Leicester,

Greetings!  :)
    How's it going, may I know if you have the time to do the test last weekend?

Thanks
    Jonas,