Custom Dynu with auto needs manual update

PeterUK
PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited September 2021 in Security

VPN300 V5.02(ABFC.1)ITS-WK32-2021-08-09-210800242

I have a Dynu Basic but have setup as User custom because the Dynu Basic for IP address does not list auto in settings.

Interface cellular1

DYNDNS server apiserver.dynu.com

URL auto

The cellular1 (4G) has a LAN IP of 192.168.3.182 but I need to known the WAN IP which is why I did a User custom DDNS which finds the WAN IP fine but the WAN IP changes and the VPN300 does not update the change when this happens and needing to manual update in monitor > system status > DDNS status.

So something like a auto update check IP every 5 mins is needed

thanks

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓

Make a clarification.
    Do you mean you would like to add an automatically renew monitor status feature on this page(Monitor > system status > DDNS status), rather than manually press the Refresh button to check status?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Hi @PeterUK
    What is your purpose for this?
    What are your topology and 4G equipment? 
    Thanks.
  • PeterUK
    edited September 2021

Firewall site to site from DDNS

So VPN300 has G4 by ZTE MF823D gets IP 192.168.3.182 from it I then need to know the WAN IP using custom DDNS as said above with a site site nailed up pointing to DDNS of Zywall 110 with Site to site with Dynamic Peer and firewall in to Zywall source address DDNS of the WAN IP G4 by VPN300.

This all works fine until the WAN IP of G4 on VPN300 changes which is why I'm asking for a auto check IP update on DDNS as currently USG only does a check if interface IP changes which never happens in my case.

Another reason for auto check IP update every 5mins is if your ISP does NAT and you port forward to a RDP on 192.168.1.2 if the USG only sees 192.168.0.2 by ISP router and you DDNS on the USG and your WAN IP changes the DDNS will not update your new WAN IP as it only see 192.168.0.2 has not changed for your DDNS to update. 

• zyman2008
    zyman2008 Posts: 197  Master Member
    +1
    It's need for VPN gateway behind NAT case.
    Also can be useful for peer firewall control access by FQDN.

But I think you can workaround this with a custom IP address 10.0.0.0

https://www.dynu.com/DynamicDNS/IP-Update-Protocol

• PeterUK
    edited September 2021
    zyman2008 said:

But I think you can workaround this with a custom IP address 10.0.0.0

I have done the workaround for DDNS in custom to find the WAN IP by putting URL auto so it does not send the IP 192.168.3.182 of the 4G. The problem is it does not do check by update should the WAN IP change so I have to manually go to monitor > system status > DDNS status and click update for the DDNS which I need it to auto check update without me having to manually do it.

• zyman2008
    zyman2008 Posts: 197  Master Member
    Gotcha!
    ZyWALL don't know the public IP changed on router mode 4G dongle.
    periodical check and auto update is need.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Answer ✓

Make a clarification.
    Do you mean you would like to add an automatically renew monitor status feature on this page(Monitor > system status > DDNS status), rather than manually press the Refresh button to check status?

• PeterUK

Make a clarification.

YES please 
  • PeterUK
    For 65 days I have had to manually press the Refresh button for DDNS because 4G IP changes every 24hrs....its getting really old...
  • Zyxel_Jeff

Hi @PeterUK

Thanks for your suggestion, we will evaluate this feature internally for our future development.

Security Highlight