NWA 5121-IN repeater

ColdHard
ColdHard Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Hello
I have NWA 5121-IN and I want to use them as a repeater for my wifi modem I setup everything and the NWA 5121 connected to my modem device but there is no internet connection and one thing more I noticed it's only take ipv6
Tried to upgrade firmware and same

The question is can I use them as a repeater for other wifi product because the wifi modem I am using is another product and I want to use NWA 5121 as a repeater for it

If anybod have an idea I would be greatful

Thanks

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nathan
    Zyxel_Nathan Posts: 38  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer

Dear ColdHard,

Zyxel AP Repeaters are compatible to other Zyxel enterprise AP series, and the topology would be like this:

If you have more than two Zyxel APs, please refer to the following steps to configure the APs to create the wireless connection.

1.     Connect the AP1 to the modem and access the AP GUI, go to Configuration > Object > WDS Profile > Add a Profile Name, WDS SSID and Pre-Shared Key.

2.     On AP1, go to Configuration > Wireless > AP Management > WLAN Setting, select Root AP, and choose the WDS Profile that just created.

3.     On AP2, you also create a same WDS Profile as AP1.

4.     Go to Configuration > Wireless > AP Management > WLAN Setting, select Repeater, and choose the WDS Profile that just created, on AP2.

5.     After finishing the above steps, install the AP2 to the place that you would like to setup the wireless connection.

6.     To check the WDS link status, please go to AP1 GUI > Monitor > Wireless > WDS Link Info, see if there’s AP information on WDS Downlink Info.

If yes, it means the connection has been created successfully between Root AP and Repeater.

7.     Final step, please try connecting your stations (laptop/smartphone) to the SSID of AP2, and check if the devices can get IP address and go to the Internet.

---

Besides, you mentioned that the NWA 5121-IN only takes IPv6, is it like fe80::xxxx:xxxx? If yes, that is a link-local address for communications within the network segment or the broadcast domain that the host is connected to.

Best Regards,

Nathan Peng

• Dear ColdHard,

Zyxel AP Repeaters are compatible to other Zyxel enterprise AP series, and the topology would be like this:

If you have more than two Zyxel APs, please refer to the following steps to configure the APs to create the wireless connection.

1.     Connect the AP1 to the modem and access the AP GUI, go to Configuration > Object > WDS Profile > Add a Profile Name, WDS SSID and Pre-Shared Key.

2.     On AP1, go to Configuration > Wireless > AP Management > WLAN Setting, select Root AP, and choose the WDS Profile that just created.

3.     On AP2, you also create a same WDS Profile as AP1.

4.     Go to Configuration > Wireless > AP Management > WLAN Setting, select Repeater, and choose the WDS Profile that just created, on AP2.

5.     After finishing the above steps, install the AP2 to the place that you would like to setup the wireless connection.

6.     To check the WDS link status, please go to AP1 GUI > Monitor > Wireless > WDS Link Info, see if there’s AP information on WDS Downlink Info.

If yes, it means the connection has been created successfully between Root AP and Repeater.

7.     Final step, please try connecting your stations (laptop/smartphone) to the SSID of AP2, and check if the devices can get IP address and go to the Internet.

---

Besides, you mentioned that the NWA 5121-IN only takes IPv6, is it like fe80::xxxx:xxxx? If yes, that is a link-local address for communications within the network segment or the broadcast domain that the host is connected to.

Best Regards,

Nathan Peng

Thanks a lot but for now I have 4 AP when only make one root and second repeater it works fine but when make the other 2 as a repeater with same wds name and password no internet connection but I get ip
  • Zyxel_Nathan
    Zyxel_Nathan Posts: 38  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer
    Dear @ColdHard,

Thank you for reply.

In order to figure out why no Internet connection in your 2nd and 3rd Repeater APs, could you help to provide some more information down below for us to check? Thank you.

1. You mentioned “no internet connection but I get ip”, may I know that does “Repeater AP” gets IP, or “client device (like smartphone) that connects to AP” gets IP?

2. In order to check the WDS status, please take some screenshots to show the WDS Link Info of your Root AP and Repeater APs. For example,
    Root side:

Repeater side:

Also, please help to get Diagnostic log files from the Root and Repeater APs then send to us for checking your configurations.
    Please go to AP local GUI > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Diagnostics tab > then click “Collect Now” to download the AP Diagnostic file.

3. For testing the network connection status, please help to prepare a laptop, and connect the laptop to the SSID from Repeater AP that is having no Internet issue, open command line in the laptop, then type in the following commands for testing.
    (a.) ipconfig -> check if the wireless LAN adapter of laptop gets an IP address

(b.) If the laptop gets an IP address, please try to ping the gateway IP, see if it’s ping-able.

(c.) Check DNS status by the command nslookup.
    For example, nslookup google.com

Thank you.

Regards,
    Nathan