NWA210AX cannot choose UNII-3 channels

Options
Alex_Atkin_UK
Alex_Atkin_UK Posts: 7
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Rather confused to find I cannot choose a Band C channel considering these have been license free in the UK for a few years now and is the only range that allows 80Mhz channel width without DFS.

Is there a particular reason this is not supported?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nathan
    Zyxel_Nathan Posts: 38  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Dear @Alex_Atkin_UK,

Welcome to Zyxel community.
    For using UNII-3 channels in the UK, we are still in the process of confirming the schedule to support it. We will keep you informed asap.

Best Regards,
    Nathan Peng

• Zyxel_Nathan
    Options
    Dear @Alex_Atkin_UK,

We are sorry to keep you waiting.
    Currently, we are not going to support Band C channel in our APs, it is because presently Band C channel is not popularly supported by client devices (like smartphones). In a situation like, when AP provides Band C channels but client device cannot use it, the client will have problems to access the Internet. That’s why currently we are not going to support UNII-3 channels.

However, we will move this topic to Forum Ideas then keep track of the marketing conditions, and we will keep you updated once we have a certain schedule to support the feature.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Nathan

• Alex_Atkin_UK
    Alex_Atkin_UK Posts: 7
    edited November 2021
    Options
    That makes zero sense as clients that support WiFi 6 are also more likely to support UNII-3.  I have a separate AP for WiFi 5 clients.

You are repeating the mistake a lot of manufacturers made with DFS, it was ages before client devices supported it because APs did not.  You've got this backwards, we need AP support now to encourage client device manufacturer to add it, not the other way around.

I was planning to replace this with a WiFi 6e unit once they come out, you're forcing my hand so I will have to use a different brand.
  • Zyxel_Nathan
    Options
    Dear @Alex_Atkin_UK,

Thank you for the information.
    Yes we will improve this part in the future, to make our products have better user experience.

Thank you again for your kind reminder.

Regards,
    Nathan