Manage switch automatically via VPN

Lukas0102
Lukas0102 Posts: 11
First Anniversary Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hello,

is it possible to connect two switches with VPN and the side witch automatically synchronizes the AP-Groups from the main switch?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,591  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Lukas0102,

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    If you mean two switch to directly connect with VPN, it is not possible. You will need gateway/router be the up-link of your switches and you may connect the VPN and manage your switch on different site.
    About the automatically synchronizes the AP-Groups from the main switch, may you describe more?
    Do you mean if you can manage the AP-Groups which are under the main switch?
    If yes, you may 
    manage them via VPN tunnel.

Zyxel Melen

• Hi @Lukas0102,

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    If you mean two switch to directly connect with VPN, it is not possible. You will need gateway/router be the up-link of your switches and you may connect the VPN and manage your switch on different site.
    About the automatically synchronizes the AP-Groups from the main switch, may you describe more?
    Do you mean if you can manage the AP-Groups which are under the main switch?
    If yes, you may 
    manage them via VPN tunnel.

Thanks for your answer.

We got the following scenario: We got one main building and some external buildings. Now we want WiFi in every building but don't want to manage every switch manually. So the question is if it may be possible to got one main switch (In the main building) and if we want to - for example - change the WiFi password on the main switch, it automatically changes on the switches in the external buildings. Note: Every switch is connected to a different internet access.

So the workaround so far I would use is that I set up VPN on every switch, and use one PC who can conncet to every switch via VPN.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Lukas0102,

May I know why change the WiFi password relate to switch?
    Do you mean you want to change the management password of switches and APs in the same time?
    Or you mean you want to change the SSID password in the same time?

Zyxel Melen

• Hi @Lukas0102,

May I know why change the WiFi password relate to switch?
    Do you mean you want to change the management password of switches and APs in the same time?
    Or you mean you want to change the SSID password in the same time?

My bad, sorry. We want to change the SSID password every quarter.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Lukas0102,

May I know are you using our AP product?

I ask for these information is because I would like to suggest you to use Nebula Control Center.
    Nebula Control Center allows you centralized control all your devices in one place and all of your APs can use same SSID setting, so you don't need to configure your APs one by one.

If you are using our AP product and your model support Nebula Control Center, you may try Nebula Control Center today.
    You may check the support models in here.

If you want to check more details, please visit our website to check Nebula Together Solution:
    Nebula Together Solution

Zyxel Melen

• Lukas0102
    Lukas0102 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Lukas0102,

I ask for these information is because I would like to suggest you to use Nebula Control Center.
    Nebula Control Center allows you centralized control all your devices in one place and all of your APs can use same SSID setting, so you don't need to configure your APs one by one.

If you are using our AP product and your model support Nebula Control Center, you may try Nebula Control Center today.

If you want to check more details, please visit our website to check Nebula Together Solution:
    Nebula Together Solution
    Hi,

we are using the nwa5123-ac as Access-Points, the USG310 as main- and the USG110 as "side"- switch. So as I can see, the switches aren't supported and the Nebula Control Center won't be a solution.

I think we have to build the workaround with creating an VPN for every switch to mange them from one PC.
  • Hi @Lukas0102,

Nebula Together Solution
    Hi,

we are using the nwa5123-ac as Access-Points, the USG310 as main- and the USG110 as "side"- switch. So as I can see, the switches aren't supported and the Nebula Control Center won't be a solution.

I think we have to build the workaround with creating VPN for every switch and use one PC to manage them.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Lukas0102,

Here are some solution for you:
    1.You can use ZAC to setup the SSID password. This is a free software.
    ZAC has a limit which is that it can scan 15 devices in one time.
    If your devices is more than 15, you can scan the first 15 devices and scan other devices after you setup.
    You may setup all your APs with same configuration.
    Use ZAC, you need to setup SNMP on your APs and make sure your computer can connect to your APs.

2.You can use USG as AP controller, this method needs to buy license.
    You can buy "Managed AP license" for USG310 in Zyxel Marketplace.
    Then you can use USG310 to setup your APs and record the logs or monitor your APs.

3.Upgrade your devices and let the new devices connect to Nebula.
    If you decide to upgrade your devices, you may consider WAC500 or NWA510AX which are similar model to your NWA5123-ac.

Zyxel Melen