NWA210AX - Transmit Power 5GHz low

stjohnson
stjohnson Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I have a perplexing problem. Not sure if there is a support process, but wanted to poll the community for answers. 

The NWA210AX is set at 30dBm max power for 5GHz channel. 

I understand it can't transmit that much power, but the datasheet says for US, 25dBm is the rated output power for 5GHz. Why is it dropping to 16dBm??

There doesn't seem to be any override that changes this. It persists across reboots. Where is the extra 10dBm going?

Any helpful ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @stjohnson,
    The transmit power is related to the channel and the channel width. When you use the same channel, the lowest channel width (20MHz) will be the max transmit power. As your screenshot, the channel is 48, but channel width is 160MHz, so the power is low. If you change the channel width to 20MHz, it would be 23dBm in channel 48. And, the band 4 (channel 149 to 165) channels' power are bigger than band 1 (channel 36 to 48). So, if you want to get transmit power to 25dBm, you may use channel 149 to 165.
  • stjohnson
    stjohnson Posts: 2
    Thank you for the kind reply. That is helpful.

When using 160MHz channel width, there is no band 4 channels, apparently. Channel 128 is as high as it goes without lowering bandwidth to 80MHz. At 80MHz width, channel 149 is exposed as an option. So does that mean the maximum power the AP can transmit with 160MHz width on 5GHz frequency is 15dBm? My only wish would be a better description of why the power was that level in the Nebula control center so it wouldn't be ambiguous why the setting was higher but application was lower.
  • Zyxel_Freda
    Zyxel_Freda Posts: 397  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    The power is limited by the regulation in 160MHz channel width. When the power is big, it might be able to interfere the other non-wifi bands, so the regulation is limited the transmit power lower. For the 5GHz wireless channel and channel width information, please refer to below photo. As the photo, there's no band 4 channels for 160MHz to use, and it's limited by regulation as well.

• Nessy
    Nessy Posts: 1
    Hi there,

unfortunately I have the same issue. My NWA210AX stuck at 16 dbm within 80Mhz width. Im located at germany.
    I already tried DCS, and manually set a DFS channel. Both just grant 16 dbm...
    Any ideas to solve this issue?

Best regards
    Nessy

• papu
    papu Posts: 21  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    no such problem overhere, country:NL

• Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2022
    Hi @Nessy

When country is set as Germany, the output power is limited as below (due to regional regulation)
    > UNII-1[CH36-CH48]: 16dBm
    > UNII-2
    [CH52-CH64]: 16dBm 
    > UNII-2
     Extended[CH100-CH144]: 22 dBm

Although in your country it allows up to 22dBm in CH128, however, since this channel is used by RADAR (which has higher priority than Wi-Fi), so when AP detects RADAR at currently using channel, it will switch to other channels, where regulated maximum output power is 16 dBm. That's the reason why you'll see the 16dBm on the NCC.

Could you please help us to share more information below?
    - Go to [Access Point > Monitor > Access Point] and see which channel the AP is currently using
    - Go to 
    [Access Point > Monitor > Event log] and filter the keyword "radar" or "DFS"? 

Best Regards,
    Richard

• I would like to ask additional question. When I select channels between 149-161 with 80mhz, I see TxPower as 24dBm, but when lower the channel witdth to 40mhz, the txpower is increased to 25dBm. Why there is 1dBm reduction? 80 mhz will cover 149 to 161 and doesn't interfere, I guess?

Also in the original question I see NWA-1123 AP's Tx power as 30, isn't it wrong since adding antenna gain/array gain exceed limit? Or is it just EIRP value?
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @furkanozbay

The power value differs in channel width is designed the regulations.

In radio 5GHz, the smaller the channel width, the greater the power.

We do have several models name with NWA1123, would you kindly provide the whole model name for us? Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• Hi @furkanozbay

The power value differs in channel width is designed the regulations.

In radio 5GHz, the smaller the channel width, the greater the power.

We do have several models name with NWA1123, would you kindly provide the whole model name for us? Thank you

Regards,

Bella

I see.

As I see in the picture of first message, it is NWA1123-AC HD