Broadcast VLANs from Switch via WLAN [No Internet - Please Help]

DrDrummer
DrDrummer Posts: 2
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
Hi All,

I recently received NWA50AX Access Point and would like to use this to broadcast VLANs using multi-SSID. After setup, each SSID is showing up as an available network but when a device attempts to connect there is no internet.

I can connect through the router directly so I know I don't have any internet issues so I am obviously making a mistake in the setup between the switch and the AP.

Current settings as follows:

I have a TP Link TL-SG108E Easy Switch. VLAN are setup on that device using 802.1Q VLAN settings as follows:

VLAN 1 : Default_VLAN : Member Ports 1 - 8 (Untagged)
VLAN 2 : Work : Member Ports 1 - 4 (Untagged)
VLAN 3 : IoT : Member Ports 5 - 8 (Untagged)

The AP is plugged into Port 1 on the switch and in Nebula I have the following SSIDs setup with the following VLAN IDs.

SSID1: Home : VLAN 1
SSID2 : Work : VLAN 2
SSID3 : IoT : VLAN3

Each requires a unique WPA2 password.

Any help much appreciated!

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2022

Your VLAN setup just allows everything across the ports without a tagging.

Do you have a VLAN router? As normally you give each VLAN a tag subnet between AP and router.

The AP is set for VLAN 1 as native I would guess lets say to port 2 on the switch with port 1 to your router and I'm going to guess a normal home router with one subnet going by the info I have.

Set VLAN 1 for ports 1 and 2 as untag and the rest for now forbidden Port PVID to 1 and ports to General mode.

Have the AP set with

SSID1: Home : VLAN 10

SSID2 : Work : VLAN 20

SSID3 : IoT : VLAN 30

Set VLAN 10 with tag on port 2 and untag port 1

Set VLAN 20 with tag on port 2 and untag port 1

Set VLAN 30 with tag on port 2 and untag port 1

• Thanks @PeterUK, your post has spurred some changes but I'm not quite there. The router is a Virgin Media Superhub 4 and I've swapped the switch for a new Netgear GS308E and setup the following:

VLANs:
    10 (Ports 1,2,8)
    20 (Ports 3,4,8)
    30 (Ports 5,8)
    40 (Ports 6,8)
    99 (Ports 7,8)

Port 8 is tagged throughout apart from in VLAN 99 where they're both untagged. PVIDs have been setup to correspond to the above.

Port 8 is to the router. Port 7 is to the AP.

I can't seem to do any VLAN assignments at the Virgin Hub so I'm curious whether that is a problem here?
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2022

I found the setup I listed above don't work but really you need a router with VLAN and subnets.

Try

Set VLAN 1 for ports 1 and 2 as untag and the rest for now forbidden Port PVID to 1 on ports 1 and 2 and ports to General mode.

Have the AP set with

SSID1: Home : VLAN 10

SSID2 : Work : VLAN 20

SSID3 : IoT : VLAN 30

on switch

Set VLAN 10 with tag on port 2 and untag port 3 with port 3 PVID to 10 rest of the ports forbidden 

Set VLAN 20 with tag on port 2 and untag port 4 with port 4 PVID to 20 rest of the ports forbidden 

Set VLAN 30 with tag on port 2 and untag port 5 with port 5 PVID to 30 rest of the ports forbidden 

connect ports 1,3,4,and 5 to your router

Just a note your not isolating your network as you don't have a VLAN router  
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    Zyxel_Silvia Posts: 77  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @DrDrummer ,

For your application, your router need to have the capability to offer different subnet IP. 
    we suggest you check your router setting and connect your computer to different port of router,
    and check if you can get different subnet IP.
    (ex.:
    connect to LAN port 1, get iP:192.168.1.x
    LAN port 2, ip:192.168.2.x
    LAN port 3, ip:192.168.3.x)

If you all get the same subnet IP then we will suggest you only use VLAN1 to configure your switch and AP setting.
    if you can get different subnet IP, then you may refer @PeterUKs' suggestion.

Thank you.

Silvia