GS2220 Transceiver

Username_is_reserved
Username_is_reserved Posts: 106  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Hi

Can I buy 2x SFP-LX-10-D and connect just a 50m Glasbiber Cable?
Thanks

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2022
    Hi @Username_is_reserved,

Yes, please be assured to purchase the equipment as GS2220 do support SFP-LX-10-D and 50m fiber cable is in the support range.

Jonas,
    Jonas,
  • Username_is_reserved
    Thanks maybe I heard in the years ago that Modules who are intend for long range communication like SFP-ZX-80-D using high power LED, Laser when use with a "short" Cable like 50m, 100m destroy the other end do to the hight power output?

Another stupid question I bought a Server who have a Network Card who only Transceivers can put in. How do I know if the are compatible with other on the Glas Fiber side?
  • Zyxel_Jonas
    Zyxel_Jonas Posts: 313  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Username_is_reserved,

Thanks maybe I heard in the years ago that Modules who are intend for long range communication like SFP-ZX-80-D using high power LED, Laser when use with a "short" Cable like 50m, 100m destroy the other end do to the high power output?
    It depends on every SFP module transmit power and receive power range specification.
    If the "transmit power" > "receive power range", you will need to add a fiber attenuator for short fiber cable 50m/100m to avoid SFP module destroyed.
    Reminder: Only SFP module has a chance to be destroyed, fiber cable is not affected.

Another stupid question I bought a Server who have a Network Card who only Transceivers can put in. How do I know if the are compatible with other on the Glas Fiber side?
    In brief, glass fiber cable have two types; SMF/MMF, SMF only supports single-mode fiber cable. 

Hope it clear.
    Jonas
    Jonas,
  • Username_is_reserved
    Today I will buy some Adapter for my Server and I hope the will work... We will see...