standby firmware update

xkp68
xkp68 Posts: 26  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
Hi,
on my ATP500 i have the following status concerning the firmware:

so the running firmare has been update to V5.21(ABFU.1) while the Standby is still at V4.60(ABFU.0).
Which is the best way to upgrade the standby firmware?
May i press the the "cloud firmware" icon on the right to update it?
Or, as the version of the sandby firmware is previos version then ZLD5.00, should i proceed to manually upgrade to ZLD5.10 and then upgrading to ZLD 5.21 Patch 1?
Moreover, does the upgrade of the standby firmware need the reboot of the device?
Will it reboot automatically like it happens  when i upgrade the running one?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards
Filippo

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,278  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @xkp68,
    1) i can press the "cloud firmware" icon to update from  V4.60(ABFU.0) to V5.21(ABFU.1) with no need to manually upgrade to ZLD5.10 (as said in the update guide of V5.21(ABFU.1)) and then upgrading to ZLD 5.21 Patch 1.
    Yes.

2)As long as i do not need to switch to standby partition, answering "NO" to the warning popup you showed will prevent firewall to reboot.
    Yes. Here is an example. 

3)The only way to reboot from standby partition is to select the "standby firmware" row in the "Firmware managment" page and then press reboot.
    Yes. Here is an example. 

Note
    : If you reboot the standby partition several days later after you upload the firmware, some configuration may not be updated. The running configurations are copied to the standby partition just at the moment when the firmware is uploaded.
    For example, you uploaded firmware 5.21 to the standby partition on Apr. 10th and you didn't reboot it right after the firmware is uploaded.
    On Apr. 21st, you select the standby partition and click "Reboot". Then the settings you modified during Apr. 10th and Apr 21st are not copied to the standby partition. 

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    I think yes it will reboot if upgraded.

But I would just wait for a new firmware to come out then upgrade the standby 
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Hi @xkp68,
    To update the standby firmware partition to 5.21(ABFU.1), you can either press the "Cloud Firmware" icon or "Local Firmware" icon to upload the firmware. If you just want to update the standby firmware partition to 5.21(ABFU.1) but not plan to switch to this partition at this moment, remember to click "No" in the pop-up warning window. Then the firmware will be update to the standby partition and the device still runs in the running partition. 
    Note: Remember to back up startup-conf.config of the running firmware partition before switching to standby firmware partition. 

• xkp68
    xkp68 Posts: 26  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Sorry for the long delay in my reply. So, as a recap:
    1) i can press the "cloud firmware" icon to update from  V4.60(ABFU.0) to V5.21(ABFU.1) with no need to manually upgrade to ZLD5.10 (as said in the update guide of V5.21(ABFU.1)) and then upgrading to ZLD 5.21 Patch 1.
    2)As long as i do not need to switch to standby partition, answering "NO" to the warning popup you showed will prevent firewall to reboot.
    3)The only way to reboot from standby partition is to select the "standby firmware" row in the "Firmware managment" page and then press reboot.
    Are those three sentences all true?
    Thanks in advance.
    Filippo

• Zyxel_Emily
    Answer ✓
    Hi @xkp68,
    1) i can press the "cloud firmware" icon to update from  V4.60(ABFU.0) to V5.21(ABFU.1) with no need to manually upgrade to ZLD5.10 (as said in the update guide of V5.21(ABFU.1)) and then upgrading to ZLD 5.21 Patch 1.
    Yes.

Yes. Here is an example. 

Yes. Here is an example. 

Note
    : If you reboot the standby partition several days later after you upload the firmware, some configuration may not be updated. The running configurations are copied to the standby partition just at the moment when the firmware is uploaded.
    For example, you uploaded firmware 5.21 to the standby partition on Apr. 10th and you didn't reboot it right after the firmware is uploaded.
    On Apr. 21st, you select the standby partition and click "Reboot". Then the settings you modified during Apr. 10th and Apr 21st are not copied to the standby partition. 

Security Highlight