Minimum Equipment Necessary For ZyMesh

Options
TomGraz
TomGraz Posts: 4
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
If I want to set up a simple mesh wifi network using NWA55AXE outdoor access points, what all do I need?  Can I set it up with just the access points, or do I need another component.  Another component other than a router.  Does the router need to be a Zyxel brand and particular variety?

Thanks,

Tom

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jay
    Zyxel_Jay Posts: 163  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @TomGraz

If your APs are Nebula mode, just connect to the Internet.
    Doesn't matter your router brand.
    You can refer to this post to set up mesh.
    How to extend wireless coverage with smart mesh
    Notice you have to wait for the whole AP status to show "up to date".
    You can place the repeater AP in another location.

Wish you have a good day
    Zyxel_Jay

• TomGraz
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Jay.  I've received info about setting up the access points with ZyMesh and Smart Mesh with Nebula.  Are those different systems with different ways of setting up a mesh network?  

Thanks,

Tom
  • Zyxel_Jay
    Options

HI @TomGraz

ZyMesh and SmartMesh are mesh technologies. The difference is that ZyMesh is for APs managed by the AP controller whereas Smart Mesh is for APs managed on Nebula.

Sincerely

Zyxel_Jay

• TomGraz
    Options
    Another question, if I may.  If I use several NWA55AXE AP's, all connected directly to a switch, can they still be set up in a mesh network?  One as the root and the rest as repeaters?  Or do they have to talk to each other via wifi to mesh?

Thanks again,

Tom
  • Zyxel_Jay
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi @TomGraz

Good day, if all of your APs are connected on Switch, they all have uplink to Ethernet, they don’t use MESH to connect to each other. They will follow uplink to Ethernet.

Mesh is used for the AP without Ethernet cable, the Repeater AP will connect to Root AP via wireless. But according to your article, we think you don’t need to use MESH.

If you have any questions or special needs, please tell us.

Sincerely

Zyxel_Jay

• TomGraz
    Options
    The question had to do with hops and losing throughput.  I put one NWA55AXE AP 30' up on a pole on the roof of the campground store.  It's connected by ethernet to the router.  I'm only getting about 60dBm line of sight, 100 feet away, with no obstructions.  It's about 600 feet to the most distant campsite, and there are trees.  At my camper I can't even see the SSID coming off the store.  I thought to put a repeater AP at 200 feet from the root and another at 400 feet.  Zyxel documentation indicates I'll lose 50% throughput at the first hop and 75% at the second hop.  So, what if I pull an ethernet cable to the 400' location and put a 2nd root AP there.  Am I creating two mesh networks?  Would they both be members of the same Nebula Site in my Organization?  Can that be done?  Maybe set them up as two independent sites?
  • Zyxel_Jay
    Options

Hi @TomGraz

Good day,

If your device gets -60dBm at 100 feet, it is normal not to get SSID at 600 feet at your camper. Most of the devices only support the signal directly above -75dBm.

But your idea is correct. You pull an ethernet cable to the 400' location and put the 2nd root AP there. Your camper can get the SSID from the 2nd root AP at 200 feet. And your repeater AP at 200 feet from the 1st root AP will automatically choose the higher signal between the two root APs. They can be managed on the same Nebula site.

Sincerely

Zyxel_Jay