Telekom Magenta TV Receiver + Dell Monitor U2422HE with USB C DisplayPort

bandchef
bandchef Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
I own a magenta TV receiver for IP-TV. Whenever the magenta receiver starts a automated and repeating recording or when you only switch on, the Ethernet connection on my delmonitor/laptop goes wrong. The magenta receiver is attached to another slot on the switch (because other room).

In case of Ethernet-Issues on my Laptop/Monitor I found in the interface on my switch Zyxel GS1920-24HPv2 under "Management -> ARP" not only the 192.168.178.1 (IP address of the router (FritzBox)), but also the 192.168.178.64 (I believe this is the IP Address of the monitor).

If the magenta tv receiver isn't running I don't have any issues with the Ethernet on my Laptop/Monitor. In this case I found within the Zyxel Webclient under "Management -> ARP" only the two IP addresses 192.168.178.64 and 192.168.178.67 and NOT the 192.168.178.1 (IP address of the router (FritzBox).

With use of Windows Commandline I know, that the IP address of the Laptop is 192.168.178.67 and within the Router it is fixed to this IP address.

Does anybody know how I fix the issue with loosing Ethern on my Laptop/Monitor combination? Is there any problem with ARP?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @bandchef,
    May I know if your ethernet symptom is the networking disconnected? 
    If it is the case, could you please help activate IGMP snooping (there is the quick link on the home page) and set "Unknown Multicast frame" to drop, should improve the issue.
    Chris
  • bandchef
    edited June 2022
    @bandchef,
    May I know if your ethernet symptom is the networking disconnected?
    [...]
    Yes, you're absolutley right! But only on my Dell Laptop which is connected via USB-C DisplayPort with Dell Monitor U2422HE.

@bandchef,
    [...]
    If it is the case, could you please help activate IGMP snooping (there is the quick link on the home page) and set "Unknown Multicast frame" to drop, should improve the issue.
    Thanks for the hint. I have opened web configuration of my Zyxel-Switch and have in "Advanced Application -> Multicast -> Multicast Setup (IPv4 Multicast -> Click Here) -> IGMP Snooping -> Unknown Multicast Frame" changed from "Flooding" to "Drop".

Please see also the attached picture:

Do I have do the right? After I have clicked on "Apply" the problem persists, if the Magenta Receiver is running. Do I have to restart the Monitor/Laptop, Magenta Receiver or the Switch?

Yesterday I have also executed a reboot with the new configuration, the original problem now is solved, but if I now want to see something on the Receiver, the picture stutters now.

What can I do now?
  • bandchef
    edited June 2022
    Sorry for writing again. Now I think I have understand what you have meant:

I have found the following link on zyxel: https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360003640060-How-to-configure-IGMP-Snooping-for-multicast-clients-in-the-same-LAN#one

Now, I have configured the IGMP Snooping like it is described in above link. I have also activated "Active" and "Querier".

Todays afternoon, I will test if, 1st the Ethernet on Laptop/Monitor will run if the Receiver is started and 2nd, the picture on the Receiver will not stutter.
  • bandchef
    Now, I have tested the setup and with above mentioned configuration ("Active" = activated, "Querier" = activated and "Unknown Multicast Frame" = Drop) I do not have whether any Ethernet loss on Laptop/Monitor nor any stuttering from the Receiver on the TV.

Shall I made some other configuration so that I stop flooding my whole network with this Multicast Packets? Do you have any suggestions on this topic?
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @bandchef,
    Glad to know your issue has been resolved, you do not need additional settings, because IGMP snooping is the feature that only forwards the multicast packet to the port which need to watch the channel.   :)  
    Chris