GS108S needs hard reboot after power-outage

iainmackay
iainmackay Posts: 10  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
Getting a lot of mains power cuts here (Hampshire, UK) recently, which has reminded me of a problem I have seen before and that keeps recurring.  Each time power is lost, part of my LAN can't see the router that connects me to my VDSL service, so all Internet connectivity is lost for that part of the house.  The solution always seems to be to unplug and then plug back in the DC feed to the GS108S switch that sits at the "disconnected" end of the LAN circuitry.  This seems to me particularly strange because I have that switch on a small UPS that should protect it from going down during short outages.  However, the devices at the other end (including my router and a GS105S switch) are not UPS-protected, but seem to come back up anyway.  

I deduce that it is the GS108S that has a problem, but if it's not even losing power I am struggling to figure out where the problem lies.  I am aware that these are unmanaged switches so the options for diagnosis, or changing anything, are limited.  Could it be that the loss of power to the GS105S and/or the router is making the 108S "forget" something that it has to relearn by being made to power-cycle?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @iainmackay,
    From our past experience, the short power-cycle could cause unexpected behavior of the switch.
    As like you said this is the unmanaged switch and cannot do further diagnostic, therefore may I know if have a chance to move GS108S to UPS for the cross-check?
    Chris
  • iainmackay
    iainmackay Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    @Zyxel_Chris

Thank you for your reply.  

The G108S is on UPS;  it is the switch at the other end that isn't, but I have already ordered a second UPS to protect that and the router.  So if your question was really about that, the matter is in hand and I'll then have to wait for an opportunity to test how everything performs through the next power outage.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @iainmackay,
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, could you keep monitor for this GS108S if it still got the same issue next time, then please contact reseller for RMA, could be the hardware issue.
    Chris