Direct fibre cable to VPN 100

Dear all, I have switched to FTTH for the first time in my life. I have a WORKING setup with a Zyxel XGSPON Voip IAD (AX7501-B0) router in bridge mode connected via ethernet to a WAN port on my Zyxel VPN 100. The VLAN (11) is set up on the VPN. All is working fine.

However, as my VPN 100 has its own SFP port I do believe that I should get this to work without the router. I think I should be able to attach the fibre cable directly to the sfp port. I have tried this using the (working) SFP Module of my router (Zyxel PM7000-00 XGSPON SFP+ Type SFU). I have also changed the VLAN base port to SFP on the VPN 100 etc... however, nothing happens. The SFP port does not even come to life, the web interface does not show that a cable is connected. With the WAN/LAN ports, you see where a cable is connected.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong. The router does nothing except converting the signal to ethernet, which is what the VPN 100 could do by its own.

Any hint/help is greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 753  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Gothmog,
    Could you provide your transceivers speed? VPN100 only support 1 Gigabit SFP. It won't work if plug in 10G SFP+.
    Please kindly refer the following datasheet. 

Thank you
    Kevin

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Gothmog,
    Could you provide your transceivers speed? VPN100 only support 1 Gigabit SFP. It won't work if plug in 10G SFP+.
    Please kindly refer the following datasheet. 

Thank you
    Kevin
  • thanks Kevin, i guess here's the culprit. what works in the router won't in the vpn. I was using the routers 10G sfp+ module, my bad! appreciated!
  • could you point me at the correct 1GB version of the same? I have no clue about wavelength. This one is the working one when I use the router in between: Zyxel PM7000-00 XGSPON SFP+ Type SFU 

Thanks! 
  • Zyxel_Kevin
    Hi @Gothmog,
    "PM7000-00 XGSPON SFP+ Type SFU " is SC connector.However, we only support LC connector.
    You may change your fiber cable to Duplex LC and find the tranceiver with single mode . 
    According to PM7000-00 XGSPON datasheet, I'll advice pick 
    SPF-LHX1310-40D-D but please notice we can't ensure that ISP is compatible with 1G SFP. 
    Thank you
    Kevin

• Thanks so much Kevin, I will give it a try! Greatly appreciated.
  • Ian31
    Ian31 Posts: 167  Master Member
    Hi @Gothmog,
    Please be ware the different of active fiber (usually connect to Ethernet switch) and passive fiber (usually connect to PON).

All the transceivers in Firewall support list is for active fiber.
    It won't work if you want to connect to PON.

What's you need is a GPON ONU module. But cannot find the compatibility list for Zyxel firewall.

Security Highlight