Do I need a VLAN for IPTV (Magenta TV + Zyxel GS1920-24HPv2)?

bandchef
bandchef Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hello,

I use IPTV from Telekom Germany connected to Zyxel GS1920-24HPv2. My question is: Do I need a VLAN for the Meda Receiver, to protect the LAN/WLAN from Multicast flooding?

If yes, can anybody provide me a tutorial/guide to do this? Thanks in advance!

All Replies

• bandchef
    I asked this question because I have a problem with copying huge files >200GB from my QNAP NAS TS251-A to my Dell Inspiron 5415 Laptop which is connected with USB-C on a Dell U2422HE Monitor. The Monitor is a LAN Docking Monitor and is connected with CAT7 LAN cables through the house installation with the Zyxel GS1920-24HPv2.

Everytime a copy these files the transmission speed decreases from ~92MB/s to ~5MB/s after not predictable time. Sometime it decreases after 2min. of copying, sometimes it decreases 3min. before the copying action ended. See attached picture.

My current IGMP configuration is:

In the meanwhile I have figured out, that I disconnect the Magenta Receiver from the Switch, the copy action will not decrease its speed! Is there any other configuration to made due to IP TV (Magenta TV) such as VLANs?

I hope that anybody can help me!
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @bandchef,

You will need to separate the date traffic and IPTV traffic to different VLANs to solve this issue.
    If your topology is similar to the below screenshot, then please follow my recommend setup steps.

1. Please go to Menu > Advanced Application > VLAN > Static VLAN setup to create VLAN 2 (example) and fix two ports (one connects to Router/Modem, one connects to Magenta Receiver) as untagged. Here use ports 5 and 6 as example.

2. Go to VLAN 1 and change ports 5 and 6 to Normal.

3. Go to Menu > Advanced Application > VLAN > VLAN Port Setup to change the PVID of ports 5 and 6 from 1 to 2.

4. Enable IGMP snooping and go to IGMP snooping > IGMP snooping VLAN to add VLAN 2 as IGMP snooping VLAN.

5.  Connect port 5 to your modem and port 6 to your Magenta Receiver.

If your topology is not what I attached, please share your topology with me.

Hope it helps.

Zyxel Melen

• bandchef
    edited November 2022
    My topology is the same as you have mentioned above. Thank you for this drawing.

The only difference what I have seen is that the Magenta Receiver is connected to Port 8 and the FritzBox (Modem/Router) is connected to Port 24 on the Switch.

Am I doing right if I replace the mentioned Ports 5, 6 with my currently used Ports 8, 24 for Reciever, FritzBox in your solving strategy?

Yesterday afternoon I have also done a change in the IGMP snooping:

I have changed "Reserved Multicast Group" from "Flooding" to "Drop". Is this ok due to Magenta TV and my problems, or should I switch back to the configuration which was mentioned in the first entry of this thread?
  • bandchef
    edited November 2022
    Now, I have tried to set your mentioned configuration. Problem now is, that my Laptop loses the connection to the Swtich during I am configure this things. My Laptop is connected to a LAN-Docking-Monitor through a USB-C Thunderbolt cable. The Monitor is connected through a LAN-Cable direct to Port 7 of the switch.

How can I connect the Laptop to the switch without losing the connection during configuration?

Edit: I have set the IP Address of the switch in the configuration of Windows for the Network. After that I could finalize the configuration, but the whole Network incl. all other devices could not communicate over the LAN...
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @bandchef,

I forgot that the router/modem would have two connections with your switch.
    One is for Data VLAN and another is for IPTV VLAN.

The "Reserved Multicast Group" will not help you because the IPTV stream is not using the reserved multicast group. Unless your network is full of reserved multicast, you set "Reserved Multicast Group" from "Flooding" to "Drop" will help.

Zyxel Melen

• bandchef
    What does the forgotten two connections mean to your explanation/configuration?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @bandchef,

Forget to mention you need to connect two connections between your router/modem. One is for Data VLAN and another is for IPTV VLAN.
    If you only connect one connection (the IPTV VLAN port) between the router/modem and the switch, your other device won't get a DHCP IP address which will cause they cannot be connected. Please connect one of the VLAN 1 port as the Data VLAN uplink and one of the VLAN 2 port as the IPTV VLAN uplink.

Zyxel Melen

• bandchef
    I have a FritzBox 7490 as a Router. At the moment one LAN Cable goes from the FritzBox Port 1 to the Port 24 of the switch. Where exactly shall I connect a 2nd LAN Cable between FritzBox and Switch?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @bandchef,

Please reference this topology for VLAN 2:

In addition, you need to set up VLAN 2 first before you connect the 2nd cable, or there will occur loops.

Zyxel Melen