NWA1121-NI Firmware Recovery

Hi Guys

I am struggling to restore firmware to the above device.

I have the original firmware zip (NWA1121-NI_2.11(AABJ.0)C0.zip) but when following the zyxel recovery process, I cannot "unzip" the two files required for the tftp recovery from the bin file within the above zip.

When I use winzip of or other tool such as b2z, I cannot extract anything from the V211AABJ0C0.bin file.

What am I doing wrong?!?!

Thanks in advance.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 877  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi there,

To get 2.11(AABJ.0)C0 - the latest firmware of NWA1121-NI, please download here and then try to use 7-zip or WinRAR to extract the zip file.

Judy

• Hi there,

To get 2.11(AABJ.0)C0 - the latest firmware of NWA1121-NI, please download here and then try to use 7-zip or WinRAR to extract the zip file.

Many thanks for the zip.

I cannot extract the two files the recovery process needs from the BIN contained in the zip.... can you confirm that is what is expected?

Thank you
  • Hi - just to be clear - as I understand it, the two recovery files needed to be tftp'ed to the device are within the bin file - and I need to unzip the bin file in the above provided zip.

I cannot seem to extract anything from the bin file.

Thanks
  • Zyxel_Judy
    Hi there,

This article shows you the procedure to recover the firmware of the APs: Knowledge Base | Zyxel
    You can use the bin file directly, don’t need to extract the bin file.

Judy

• Hi there

Thanks for your reply.

I am still stuck - the instructions you sent in the link are for a different AP model - and the 

The AP is a NWA-1121-NI and I beleive the recovery instructions are those below:

https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=014292&lang=EN

My device does not have the atna, atns or atnz commands - and according to the recovery, I need to use setenv to set the AP and tftp IP addresses.I have tried your suggestios - and also tried pointing the AP at the TFTP and it ignores the bin file and requests the file shown belo (tftp log).TFTP Error from 192.168.1.2 requesting 

vmlinux_mi124_f1e.lzma.uImage: File does not exist

Thank you for your continued assistance.

David 
  • Zyxel_Judy

Hi there,

Knowledge Base | Zyxel  This instructions can be applied to recovery firmware for any Zyxel AP models. You can skip the instructions that you mentioned above.

AP IP address is 192.168.1.2 as default.

Tftp IP address can be configured as a static IP address on the laptop's NIC card. The IP address is 192.168.1.103 (for example) and Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

You put the bin file (don’t need to unzip the bin file) at the desktop and use the directory as the step 3.

You can type atna, atns or atnz commands after entering debug mode (in Putty or Tera Term).

Judy

• Hi

Tried your suggestions again... and as per the Dec11 reply, the bin file is ignored on the TFTP server, and you can see the inbound requests from teh TFTP (thus confirmed it is working) looking for the file below, which it cannot fine (as I dont have it!).

mlinux_mi124_f1e.lzma.uImage

Again, the commands 
    atna, atns or atnz  do not exist on my AP..... 

I think the only way forward is as per the original recovery instructions and need to find these recovery files.

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee

Hi @BestGear

The recover steps can be operated with official firmware files which is also the suggested way.

Could you confirm if you have entered into debug mode as in below screenshot?

Commands atna/atns/atnz should run in debug mode.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella