1920-8HPv2 - SYS LED flashing rapidly. System does not boot

Options
Hey Guys,

after installing an update via nebula, our 1920-8HPv2 doesn't boot anymore.
The SYS LED keeps flashing in a very high frequence. Since the device has no serial port, what am I supposed to do, to get the switch back to normal?

Pressing the reset or restore button doesn't change anything.

Thanks in advance
Moritz

All Replies

• Zyxel_Ivan
    Zyxel_Ivan Posts: 259  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Dear @Moritz_M , The stable/latest firmware of GS1920-8HPv2 had already released for some time, but there is no similar feedback from other users recently, so we hope you may help us to confirm the points below: The SYS LED flashing means the device is booting up, could you let us know how long have you waited? Over 1 minute?There is a Reset button which will reboot Switch with cold start and also a Restore button to reset the Switch to factory default setting when holding for over 7 seconds.On the right-hand side of the Switch, there is a 4-pin port can be connected with a 4-pin-to-USB console cable, do you have the cable?If you have "waited for a long time", "tried to reset or restore", "don't have such console cable on your hand", we recommend you contacting your reseller for the RMA process.
  • Moritz_M
    Options
    Hi Ivan,

please find my answers to your questions below in your quote:

Dear @Moritz_M ,

The stable/latest firmware of GS1920-8HPv2 had already released for some time, but there is no similar feedback from other users recently, so we hope you may help us to confirm the points below: 

1. The SYS LED flashing means the device is booting up, could you let us know how long have you waited? Over 1 minute?
      I've waited for about 30 minutes without any change in LED status
    2. There is a Reset button which will reboot Switch with cold start and also a Restore button to reset the Switch to factory default setting when holding for over 7 seconds.
      I've tried both buttons and again waited for about 5 minutes without any change in LED status.
    3. On the right-hand side of the Switch, there is a 4-pin port can be connected with a 4-pin-to-USB console cable, do you have the cable?
      I don't have such a cable but I'm willing to buy on. Would this be the correct product?

https://www.makershop.de/module/schnittstellen/pl2303-ttl-usb-adapter-kabel-arduino/

And if so how must I connect the four connectors to the console port?

If you have "waited for a long time", "tried to reset or restore", "don't have such console cable on your hand", we recommend you contacting your reseller for the RMA process.

Since I usually work with other network vendors, I would be very interested in documentation on the console commands available. Is there something like a command reference?

Kind regards, 
    Moritz
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,632  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Hi @Moritz_M,

The product you ask is correct. And you could reference the below example to connect the console.
    The baud-rate of GS1920 is 115200. Additionally, do not connect the red pin since it will cause the switch failure.

Connecting the console is to collect the console log and we can clarify what cause the switch could not boot up properly.
    Please help to collect the console log after reboot the switch.

In addition, the GS1920 series is web-smart switch, you could not configure it via console command.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,632  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Hi @Moritz_M,

In addition, we have experienced that the device cannot boot up properly which is because the hardware issue.
    You could follow this link to submit RMA request.

Zyxel Melen

• Moritz_M
    Options
    Hi Melen, thanks for the reply. The Serial cable arrived today so I tried connecting to the serial port, but the console stays black:

I connected the adapter to the switch as depicted below. I also tried cabling the other way round (black on top then green then white and the bottom connector empty). With no result whatsoever. Unfortunately I have no working switch available to test the connection at this point.

Short feedback if I did everything the right way would be great. If everything is correct, I will open an RMA Ticket.
    Till then, thanks for your support so far.