Unable to get VLAN to work - GS1900-8HP

Hello.

I have some issues with VLAN using pfSense and GS1900-8HP. I attached some pictures, have I configured something wrong on the switch? The devices does not get a IP-adress on my access point.

VLAN on GS1900

VLAN in pfSense

VLAN PORT, VLAN ID 2 tagged on port 7

VLAN PORT, VLAN ID 5 taged on port 7

Trunk activated on port 8.

Perfect drawing in paint to explain my setup. FW -> switch on port 8. Switch -> AP on port 7.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

You want port 8 tagged for both VLAN 2 and 5

Not sure On the AP you have I take it supports VLAN for a given SSID?

• PeterUK said:

You want port 8 tagged for both VLAN 2 and 5

Not sure On the AP you have I take it supports VLAN for a given SSID?

Thanks for the answer, I will try that tomorrow. My AP supports VLAN, I can select VLAN ID when I create SSID. So both Port 7 and 8 tagged with the VLAN I want transfered to the AP, got it.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,589  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @vegspam,

May I know whether your issue is solved or not?
    If you still have any problems, please feel free to ask.

Zyxel Melen

• vegspam
    vegspam Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited February 2023

No, still not resolved. I have tagged both ports with 7 and 8. Also enabled trunk on the port connected to my firewall. I have attempted to connect directly to my PC setting manually the IP-setup belonging to the VLAN without success. Looking at the firewall logs indicate that the VLAN is not applied. Logs is showing the wrong interface applied. MGMT is my default DHCP with 192.168.1.1/24, my VLAN I want to use has 192.168.3.1/24. My laptop I tested with I set the default IP-adress to 192.168.3.49.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,651  Guru Member

Does the aruba ap12 support VLAN?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,589  Zyxel Employee

Hi @vegspam,

How did you connect directly to your PC? Did you use a cable connecting the firewall and PC directly? Or? Asking this is because your feedback shows you did not connect to any SSID.

I checked the aruba ap12's specification, it supports VLAN. I think you have set up the SSID with VLAN, right?

Since the PC would not usually add a PVID to the packets, you will need an AP or a switch to help add it. Then the PC will get a DHCP IP address from your firewall.

Zyxel Melen

• Hi, I forgot to include this detail.
    I took the cable from my Aruba access point and connected it to my PC with a ethernet cable. So you are probably correct yes, to be able to test VLAN I have to tag a port on my FW or switch to test if it's the switch or access point that is causing issues for me. I have setup two SSID with different VLAN's, one with VLAN 2 and VLAN5, this is according to my other settings.