[BUG] AP Profiles "default" can't be renamed

mMontana
mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited March 2023 in WirelessLAN

Any ZLD 5.0 capable of AP controller function cannot rename default (for 2.4 Ghz networks) default2 (for 5 Ghz networks) and default3 (for 6 Ghz networks) profile.

And also cannot delete or rename “default” SSID profile.

Both bugs are replicable in 5.35 WK06 firmware from the web interfaces.

All Replies

• StefanZ
    StefanZ Posts: 160  Master Member

That rather seems to be a "feature" than a bug…

I noticed the same with my NWA50AX Aps. Gets even worse when you dare to use the Wizard – then you end up with WIZ_XXX objects that are non-deletable.

Only way I found to get rid of permanent objects is to download the startup-conig of the device and then purge the objects manually. But there might be a reason for not being able to delete the objects, so be sure to check for side effects.

• mMontana

zld 4.X firewalls deleted the gateway and the VPN for L2TP. A console instruction was necessary to restore that. I'd rather have a console command for restore the default profile than not able to rename (and use it) or delete it.

“Default” means nothing.

• StefanZ
    StefanZ Posts: 160  Master Member

Yeah I agree - it's annoying to have dead weight in your config – or be forced to use something with a terrible name.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 875  Zyxel Employee

Hi mMontana,

The inability to delete/ rename default AP profiles is the spec.

Default profiles are intended to provide a baseline configuration (Default AP group for example), so that cannot be deleted by users.

Additionally, creating a new profile with a different name and customized settings is an effective way to achieve your desired configuration without affecting the default profile. This way, you can have multiple profiles with different settings and names to use as per your requirements.

Judy

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi StefanZ,

The issue as WIZ_XXX objects are non-deletable due to Wizard configuration with NWA50AX APs has been mentioned by another user on the Zyxel Community.

We created the feature request already. We've been evaluating that.

Please follow us to know more about new function and feature in the next time.

Judy

• mMontana

@zyxel_judy even for public wifi and hotspots, current EU laws about data protection don't exactly suggest to use wireless connection without encryption.

So, while whithin the specs, have an open network configuration selectable among the defaults might not be the saviest default to keep.

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi mMontana,

Thank you for sharing with us.

We would like to inform you that our default SSID profile comes with a simpliest configuration. However, users can use the default SSID profile directly or modify Security type to meet the specific security requirements.

Judy

• mMontana

Simpliest <> legally allowed in UE.