XGS1250-12 LAG 8x1G

Dear Team,

I would need to get at least a LAG of 8 x 1G in order to make my flow go through my FW (10 ports x 1G on my FW) and follow the below diagram.
Is it possible with the model XGS1250-12 ?
If not, could it be in a firmware roadmap ? Or would you have another model to suggest ?

Regard

All Replies

• Caroll
    Caroll Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited March 2023

Hi @aigle , I noticed in the user's guide pg52 that this switch only supports a maximum of 4 ports for LAG. I am curious to know why you chose this switch for a LAG configuration with 8 ports?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited March 2023

Hello @Caroll, thank you for your feedback.
    I chose this switch because it's the only one for the moment which offers a price affordable and could cover my needs (8G trafic flow protected by a Firewall and at least 1 uplink SFP+ on a SW to connect my Freebox ISP), bigger managed switch (generally 24 ports) costs unfortunately at least 1100€ (xs1930-12hp) ... or maybe other brand, need to check ?

I have updated the diagram, in case it will be impossible to get one day 8 x 1G Agg on this model, with 2 of XGS1250-12 it seems to be fine on the paper … if someone could confirm my topology :

-Agg between 1 FW 8 x 1G splitted on 2 SW XGS1250-12 (using the port 1 → port4)

-supported trunk vlans on this agg

Regards

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 522  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2023

Hi @aigle

As @Caroll mentioned, our XGS1250-12 switch supports a maximum LAG configuration of 4 ports. 

To provide you with an optimal suggestion, could you please provide us with more details about your network deployment? Typically, the deployment should be: 
    Router (Freebox) - Firewall – Switch – … (Others). 

Is there any specific configuration you plan to use on the switch? 

We would appreciate it if you could provide us with more information so that we can suggest the best solution for your needs. 

Kay 

Kay

• Hi Zyxel_Kay,

I've bought now a SW XGS1250-12 to perform test.

Deployment is simple to start :

PC (card 2,5G) ⇒ SW XGS1250-12 Port 10 (2,5G) vlan untag 10 ⇒ LAG1 (Port1, Port2, Port3, Port4) with TAG vlan 10,50 ⇒ FW FortiGate interface lan (vlan 10) ⇒ FW FortiGate interface wan (vlan 50) ⇒ LAG1 (Port1, Port2, Port3, Port4) with TAG vlan 10,50 ⇒ SW XGS1250-12 Port 12 (10G) vlan untag 50 ⇒ Freebox

When my laptop is directly connected to the freebox : I get 1,8G which seems to be OK

When my laptop is using SW XGS1250-12 + FW : I get a max of 900M

Could you confirm that there is no 1G limitation somewhere on the SW when using :

-Port 10 IN (2,5G) ⇒ LAG1 OUT ⇒ LAG1 IN ⇒ Port12 OUT (10G) ?

Should I open a ticket ?

Regards

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited March 2023

The limitation is the LAG algorithm being MAC based you be limited to 1Gb.

Other switches I know of do like Src/Dest IP and TCP/UDP port.

I would like to see Zyxel do a algorithm that is least loaded or where by packets are evenly sent down the ports

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 522  Zyxel Employee
    edited March 2023

Hi @aigle

As @PeterUK mentioned, the purpose of link aggregation is to increase the available bandwidth between network devices. However, one traffic flow only goes through one physical port and the maximum speed on one physical port is 1 Gbps. Therefore, the maximum speed you will see on your screen when sending files will still be 1 Gbps. 

Besides, could you please share with us the client amount for your need? We would like to know that why you would like to have 8 ports for LAG. 

Kay 

Kay

• monkeynia
    monkeynia Posts: 25  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector

Hi @aigle, why do you need at least 8 port LAG? Is it because you think your firewall will become 8G after applying LAG?

But just like what @PeterUK and @Zyxel_Kay mentioned, switch link aggregation can increase the available bandwidth, but one traffic flow can only use 1G(the maximum bandwidth of one port).

• PeterUK
    edited March 2023

Mind you thats upload limit from PC to switch LAG with MAC based so it be this FW FortiGate LAG algorithm thats for download speed across the ports.

• Hello PeterUk, monkeynia, Zyxel_Kay,

Thank you very much for all your feedback and information, nice community :)

Yes, I thought I could optimize my firewall to become 8G after applying LAG and could use this bandwidth with a laptop 10G.
    On FW lag I had the choice for distribution L2 (SMAC/DMAC) / L3 (SrcIP/DstIP / L4 (SPORT/DPORT/PROTO).

Sorry for my misunderstanding of LAG which increase the Port Density/redundancy, not the Bandwidth.

Since my FW has only 1G Port, I'm afraid I have no available workaround to get more thant 1G on Internet :/

Regards

• PeterUK

set LAG on firewall to L3 (SrcIP/DstIP / L4 (SPORT/DPORT/PROTO) that will give you more download speed on a threaded download