APs and SSID tagging to disable RF

vining
vining Posts: 26  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments

If I have multiple SSIDs and use tagging to control which SSIDs are broadcast and different APs will the APs broadcast any RF if the SSID for which a particular AP is tagged to use is disabled?

example:

AP1 is tagged to use only SSID1 via tag _SSID1 and then I disble SSID1 via the app will AP1 stop broadcasting all RF?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 875  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi @vining ,

If there is no enabled SSID, the access point (AP) will not broadcast any RF.

The power consumption of the AP depends on usage; if there are no enabled SSIDs and no connected clients, the power consumption will be low. If the AP is connected to a Zyxel switch, you can check the consumption information by accessing the switch.

Judy

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @vining ,

In case there is SSID without tag, the AP1 will broadcast that SSID.

In case all other SSIDs use tags for other APs, the AP1 will not broadcast any SSIDs.

Judy

• vining
    edited April 2023

broadcathe AP broadcastingsany tagting bbuthe onlySSID tassigned to it by is itis disableNot broadcasting the broadcasting SSID doesn't nescarrily nemean is not and RF at all. I recall reading a while ago you guys were planning on turning off the radios if not SSIDs, assigned by tagswere enable for any particular AP. To me that means it may not be the case yet. SSIDscarrarrinecassarilld. RFRF when no SSIDs are enabled to broadcast broadcasting bbubbbb

• vining

iidoes that mean no rfRF is being broadcast or justit's broadcasting RF without an SSID?I recall reading a post the you guys planned on disabling the radios on an AP if no SSID is enabled that are tagged to an AassignAP by tag.

• Zyxel_Judy

hi @vining ,

If no SSID is enabled, the radio won't be diasble.

At the present, you can disable the radio manually by using the Standalone/ Controller managed mode.

Standalone mode: Configuration > Object > AP Profile > Radio > choose Radio profile: Untick Active

Controller managed mode: Configuration > Object > AP Profile > Radio: there are the disabled radio profiles already.

Judy

• vining
    edited April 2023

yyouthat makes no sense.if an AP has no enable SSID the radios should be turned off or at least set to low power mode.Some people are extremely concerned about RF and its naturits natural to assume disabling the SSID on aall SSIDs on an AP would disable thRF.notansweringtheqanAPhasnoenabledSSIDdoesitstillbroadcastRF

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓

Hi @vining ,

If there is no enabled SSID, the access point (AP) will not broadcast any RF.

The power consumption of the AP depends on usage; if there are no enabled SSIDs and no connected clients, the power consumption will be low. If the AP is connected to a Zyxel switch, you can check the consumption information by accessing the switch.

Judy

• maxmax22
    maxmax22 Posts: 2
    First Comment

Hello,

I found several threads on this forum with inconsistent replies on this same topic.

Is it definitely confirmed that with SSID scheduler (and 1 only SSID) the RF will actually go off?

Thank you

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @maxmax22 ,

In case there is SSID schedule, the RF will go off during times (days) when it is not available.

Judy

• maxmax22
    maxmax22 Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you so much for your confirmation.