XGS1250-12 - System Page additional information request

Options
gordonre
gordonre Posts: 13
Friend Collector First Comment
edited May 2023 in Switch

Hello,

I recently purchased three XGS1250-12 switches. The first reason was to obtain higher data speeds between the three main areas of my home. I'm happy to say that after connecting them, I have 10G from one to the next and the next.

The second reason was to segregate different systems onto VLANS. So, ports 1-2 are VLAN 10 and ports 3-4 are VLAN 20 at least for now. Then the trunk is configured on ports 9-11 (although only using up to two of these - the 'middle' switch will have two of these ports used).

When viewing the web interface and the System page, there is a Per Port Status section. What would be helpful is to have a VLAN column between say Port and Link Status columns. This way I have a quick view on which ports are configured for which VLANs and if there is a trunk port then perhaps the letter "T" or the word "Trunk" could be displayed. For all other ports to have say a dash '-' suggesting this has no VLAN configured. It would be good also to know if these VLANs are to Tag or Untag by colour or a T or U displayed next to the VLAN number

Here's an image to illustrate:

Thanks,

Gordon

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 557  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @gordonre

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Per Port Status section on the System page of your XGS1250-12 switches. Currently, the VLAN tab on the Web GUI of XGS1250-12 switches is also designed to allow users to quickly view and configure VLAN settings. We would like to check if the current VLAN tab doesn’t meet your needs?

Kay

Kay

• gordonre
    Options

Hello Kay,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware the VLAN tab allows a quick view but it takes time to digest that information. However, when looking at the System page, it is more convenient and productive to have this information displayed in a simple way as an overall quick overview of my setup.

Having VLANs displayed on the System tab would be very helpful, at least for me and probably many others too.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @gordonre

Thank you for your follow-up response. We appreciate your input and we have raised this as an idea in the Switch Ideas section:

If anyone likes this idea, please feel free to check this idea and leave a comment or click vote. We'll be monitoring the votes and comments as part of our evaluation process.

Kay

Kay

• gordonre
    Options

Hi @Kay

Thank you, much appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

We are concerned that displaying “T” for Trunk port would cause some potential confusion for other user. However, we will consider to add VLAN information on the Web GUI System tab.

If anyone have any further suggestion with this idea, please feel free to leave a comment on the Idea Section:
    XGS1250-12 Additional Information on Port Status — Zyxel Community

Kay

Kay

• danir
    danir Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Also showing failed or dropped packages would be awesome.
    Debugging connections is pretty hard due to the lack of these values on the switch itself.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @danir

We would like to ask if do you mean the CRC error count?

Kay

• gordonre
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Kay,

I see your query above has not been answered. For my, I think a simple count of dropped packets would be good. It could be useful to know on the receiving end that the CRC check has failed. Dropped packets and CRC error might not translate into the same error though.

Have you made any progress in adding this debug information or are you still deciding whether to add this to a page or not? Would be nice to see what you've come up with so far 😀 assuming there is some work going on here among other important tasks.

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @gordonre ,

I wanted to update you on the feature request for the CRC count display in the system tab interface. This idea has been proposed by other users for the XGS1210-12 switch as well:

Considering the high demand from our users, I am delighted to inform you that we have accepted this feature request and will release on our future firmware for XGS1250-12 switch too.

Your active involvement in our community is invaluable, and we appreciate your contributions. If you have any more ideas or suggestions, please don't hesitate to share them with us.

Kay

• gordonre
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @Zyxel_Kay.

Regards,

Gordon