SHA2 “incomplete path” bug may have returned in USG1100 V4.31(AAPK.0)?

Options
nnadmin
nnadmin Posts: 9  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I installed a certificate from COMODOCA which seemed to work; but, I tried various combinations of the intermediate and root certificates without success.

From USG1100 firmware release notes:
Modifications in V4.11(AAPK.0)C0 - 2015/03/12
32.[BUG FIX] eITS#141000951
When  using  for  SHA256  as  intermediate  certificate,  the certificate  path  will  shows “incomplete path”.

Since SHA1 is going away, this will be a major problem.

Accepted Solution

• nnadmin
    Answer ✓
    Options

I started focusing on the intermediate/root mistrust and tried a few things with OCSP; and, I think I found the solution to the problem -- and an issue with OCSP on the USG.

Background: Unlike most servers and clients, Zyxel devices apparently do not seem know about the existence of public CAs -- they MUST have a Self-Signed root.  The public CAs are issuing certificates based on Cross-Signed roots which would technically make them intermediates; but they work with the most common servers and clients built-in trust anchors.

The original root cert I was trying to use was one of those Cross-Signed root certificates which the USG seems to trust because it looks like a root; but, the intermediate did not validate because the USG did not trust the chain...because the USG does not check with any external CAs.

After contacting ComodoCA(issuer of our cert), they were able to provide an alternate Self-Signed root certificate; the USG really trusted this cert as it validated the intermediate which in turn validated our certificate.

Note, both chains validate with OCSP using OpenSSL; but, the USG has an OCSP validation error.
    I left OCSP turned off.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

The root and intermediate CA should be imported to “Trusted Certificates” page, and server CA should be imported to “My Certificates” page.

If the original file contains multiple CA, use the following steps or use tool to extract CA.
    Step 1. Import CA(double click CA file) on Windows PC
    Step 2. Go to browser (IE/Chrome) certificate setting to export  root/intermediate/server CA from the storeLocation
    Step 3. Import root and intermediate CA  file to to “Trusted Certificates”, and import server CA to “My Certificates” on ZyWALL.

If you still have difficulty importing certificate, please send us the certificate and we can help you import certificate to USG1100.
  • nnadmin
    Options
    The problem is not importing the certificates; the problem is that after being imported, the USG doesn't follow the path of the chain upstream  -- the only SHA2 certs it will trust are roots.  First I used the original set of intermediates provided with our specific certificate; then I tried a few others and roots that were available on the Comodo website; none of the SHA2 type are followed by the USG -- resulting in a "incomplete path" indication.  I have never had any problems getting a USG to trust SHA1 certs made by our own private CA; but, now we have some people outside of our organization we want to trust the cert -- hence the public CA issued certificate.  Note, that public CAs are now issuing SHA2 certs with SHA2 chains up to the roots.  Also, since about 2010, it has been bad practice to require importing and then presenting the actual root of public CAs; software is supposed to have a regularly updated root store embedded; and since all the certs are signed indirectly by intermediates, the roots can be properly validated by the clients.

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @nnadmin,

Thanks for the detailed description. We need the certificate to further check this issue. 

I will send you the private message with the required information.

• nnadmin
    Answer ✓
    Options

I started focusing on the intermediate/root mistrust and tried a few things with OCSP; and, I think I found the solution to the problem -- and an issue with OCSP on the USG.

Background: Unlike most servers and clients, Zyxel devices apparently do not seem know about the existence of public CAs -- they MUST have a Self-Signed root.  The public CAs are issuing certificates based on Cross-Signed roots which would technically make them intermediates; but they work with the most common servers and clients built-in trust anchors.

The original root cert I was trying to use was one of those Cross-Signed root certificates which the USG seems to trust because it looks like a root; but, the intermediate did not validate because the USG did not trust the chain...because the USG does not check with any external CAs.

After contacting ComodoCA(issuer of our cert), they were able to provide an alternate Self-Signed root certificate; the USG really trusted this cert as it validated the intermediate which in turn validated our certificate.

Note, both chains validate with OCSP using OpenSSL; but, the USG has an OCSP validation error.
    I left OCSP turned off.

Security Highlight