Is there a reason to choose WAX650S before WAX640S-6E Modell?

Options

We are using an USG Flex 700 Firewall to manage our APs in our Classrooms (school).

We want to replace our old APs with Wifi6 devices. They need to service up to 30 mobile devices at once.

Is there a reason to choose WAX650S before WAX640S-6E Modell?

THX

Accepted Solution

• Pbee
    Pbee Posts: 21  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

@edvhoerstelde

I would opt for the WAX650S. My experience is that it has a great coverage, good balancing the bandwidth over all mobile devices and quite resilient to neighbouring wifi and other HF disturbances. The "smart antenna" does really work. We use them in standalone mode.

The Wifi 6E option sounds nice, but it will be a couple of years until it really is available on most mobile devices. Of course the best performance can be achieved when all clients use at least 802.11ac or ax. When you have a lot of HF disturbance in the direct neighbourhood, 802.11ax performs best in my experience.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @edvhoerstelde ,

Both the WAX650S and WAX640S-6E are excellent choices for a school environment, as they both support the latest Wifi6 technology. In terms of capacity, both models should be able to handle 30 mobile devices without issue. However, there are some differences between the two models that might influence your decision.

The WAX650S is a dual-radio (dual 4x4 MIMO) access point, designed to provide a high-performance, seamless user experience. It also includes a third radio that can be used as a dedicated scanning radio for RF optimization, which helps to ensure the best performance even in challenging RF environments. Moreover, the WAX650S’s 2.4GHz & 5GHz conducted typical transmit output power is bigger than WAX640S-6E’s.

On the other hand, the WAX640S-6E is a Wifi6E access point (4x4 in 6 GHz, 2x2 in 5 GHz, 2x2 in 2.4 GHz), which means it can operate in the 6GHz band in addition to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. This can provide more available channels and less interference. However, please note that to take full advantage of Wifi6E, the client devices also need to support the 6GHz band.

The detail information about two models, please refer to their datasheets:

WAX650S datasheet

WAX640S-6E datasheet

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Pbee
    Pbee Posts: 21  Freshman Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

@edvhoerstelde

I would opt for the WAX650S. My experience is that it has a great coverage, good balancing the bandwidth over all mobile devices and quite resilient to neighbouring wifi and other HF disturbances. The "smart antenna" does really work. We use them in standalone mode.

The Wifi 6E option sounds nice, but it will be a couple of years until it really is available on most mobile devices. Of course the best performance can be achieved when all clients use at least 802.11ac or ax. When you have a lot of HF disturbance in the direct neighbourhood, 802.11ax performs best in my experience.