Hard reset usg20w-vpn

Options
c777
c777 Posts: 9
First Anniversary First Comment

Hello,

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to me that when a usg is first commissioned, the router is loaded with "minimal" firmware and downloads the latest standard firmware.

When I reset my usg20w-vpn, I find remnants of previous configurations, such as a personalized home page with an image.

I'd like to know if there's a minimum firmware or if it's possible to do a reset, not just of the configuration, but of a deeper level, like when I left the factory.

Thank you in advance for your help.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

AFAIK even the deepest reset will leave some older configuration files into the device, which can be deleted.

Any kind of reset should remove logos (file and config), unless someone replaced the original zyxel logo file with a different image.

• lalaland
    lalaland Posts: 90  Ally Member
    edited February 8
    Options

The factory default still keeps backup configuration files, certificates, and some other files. Holding down the RESET button performs an action similar to copying the system default configuration to the startup configuration file.

• c777
    Options

Thanks for the information. I would have liked to be able to do an "out of the box" reset with no trace of files or anything. Not being an expert, I thought that in the case of an undetected intrusion, it would be the assurance of starting again on a clean system.

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,367  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @c777

You might want to consider recovering the system database. This process can reset all configurations to their default state, essentially making it like a new system.

• c777
    Options

Hi Zyxel_Stanley

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.

Security Highlight