Unable to automatically reconnect to the 6GHz SSID

Options
System
System Posts: 40  Admin
First Comment Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula
This discussion was created from comments split from: many disconnects on NWE130BE based on Wifi 6E with Intel AX211.

Comments

• TLG
    TLG Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options

I have similar issues. I can connect to 6GHz on my Samsung Z Fold5 initially, but then if I leave the area and come back or turn off wifi and turn it back on, then it never connects to 6GHz again unless I "forget" the wifi network and add it back. And then it breaks again if I leave the area or turn wifi off.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @TLG ,

Your issue appears to be distinct from the one discussed in the original post, so we've initiated a separate thread for better assistance. To help us understand your problem more effectively, could you please provide the following details?

• The model and firmware version of your AP where you encountered this issue.
    • Are other devices (like different phones, PCs, etc.) experiencing the same problem as unable to reconnect automatically to the 6GHz SSID?
    • Does the SSID in question configure 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands in addition to 6GHz?
    • You mentioned that your phone fails to automatically reconnect to the 6GHz SSID after leaving and re-entering the area or after toggling the Wi-Fi off and on. Could you check if your Samsung Z Fold5 phone automatically reconnects to the SSIDs on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands under similar conditions?

Additionally, you can collect the configuration file and diagnostic file after experiencing the issue and share them with us. Please send these files via a direct message by clicking on my account and selecting 'Message'.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• TLG
    Options

NWA130BE Firmware V6.70(0) (it's what came installed, and no newer version is available for download).

I can see a few other devices connected at 6GHz, but my Samsung Z Fold5 won't stay connected, current on updates.

The SSID we use is the shared for 2.4, 5, 6 GHz bands.

My phone works on 2.4 and 5 without issue on the shared SSID.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @TLG ,

Based on your description, it appears that initially your Samsung Z Fold5 connects to the 6GHz band, but after leaving and re-entering the area, or toggling the Wi-Fi off and on, it switches to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands. This behavior is typical, as the phone automatically selects the most suitable band to connect to.

You can try to set up a new SSID that exclusively uses the 6GHz band and test this setup. At our site, we conducted a test using the NWA130BE with Firmware V6.70(0) and a 6GHz-capable laptop (there is no Samsung Z Fold5 here). We observed that the laptop successfully reconnected to the 6GHz SSID after leaving and then re-entering the area.

• TLG
    edited April 15
    Options

I created an SSID just for 6GHz and if I am more than about 25 ft away, without walls or any obstructions it will not reconnect to 6GHz it will switch to my 5GHz network. If I forget my 5GHz network, it will stay connected.

I get that it is supposed to switch to the best network, but this seems like it is being overzealous and only allowing 6GHz band if I am within 25 ft of the AP. Again, I understand that 6GHz has shorter range, but I can't even use 6GHz at all like this unless 5GHz is disabled. 6GHz obviously works if I'm farther than 25 ft away, and in my tests, it works well. I feel like there needs to be some adjustment so it's not so strict about using 6GHz when 5GHz is available.

EDIT: I just checked again and now my phone has disconnected from the 6GHz SSID when I walked further away and has not reconnected when I sit at my desk. If I move 4 ft closer it reconnects and it shows 4 bars. This feels like even though I have a strong signal it's dropping my connection. It seems like if it have less than 5 bars signal it drops which is drastically different than how 2.4 and 5GHz work.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @TLG ,

If you prefer your phone to automatically reconnect to the 6GHz SSID upon returning to the AP area or when Wi-Fi is turned back on, consider the following solutions:

• Disable the 'Auto-Join' feature or forget other SSIDs in your phone's Wi-Fi settings.
    • Reduce the output power of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. You can do this by going to Configuration > Wireless > AP Management > WLAN Setting > Radio in your AP's settings.

Additionally, you can upgrade the firmware of your NWA130BE to the latest version, 675ACIL0C0. To perform this update, access the local GUI, navigate to Maintenance > File Manager > Firmware Package, click 'Check Now', and then select 'Upgrade'.

• TLG
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions, I had checked for firmware updates previously and none were found. Looks like they finally showed up today, however the release notes aren't available for the 6.75 firmware yet.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @TLG ,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    The release notes for the NWA130BE will be available in the Zyxel Download Library shortly.

• TLG
    Options

I have the 6GHz radio at 30dBm power output, however when I look at Monitor > AP Information it shows 6GHz is only outputting at 22dBm.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @tgl ,

The maximum value you can set for the AP is 30, but the transmit output power of the AP is restricted by local regulations. For detailed specifications of the NWA130BE, please refer to this datasheet. Additionally, the values displayed under Monitor > AP Information do not include the antenna gain, which is 4dBi for 6GHz, for example.