Enterprise Access Points: Is Shutdown command really mandatory?

Options
jmullaney
jmullaney Posts: 4
First Comment
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN

We're using Access Points WAC6502D-E, WAC6502D-S, and WAC6503D-S. I just noticed that the users manual says to always use shutdown command, don't just power off, or firmware may become corrupt. See following image of paragraph from manual:

Is this really true, or is the risk so slight I don't have to worry about it? Is it perhaps only relevant if I'm making configuration changes to the AP and power is lost while those changes are being recorded?

We can't control the line power, and even if we had these APs on a UPS, which we don't yet, I would have to put together a script, triggered by a UPS alarm, to send shutdown commands to the AP units. That would be a lot of work.

Best Answers

• jmullaney
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the info. The dual-image flash storage sounds like a good design.

But regarding the warning in the manual - in big red letters. What do you mean by a "suggested description"? The use of the word "Always" in the warning message does not sound like a "suggestion". And the "cause firmware to be corrupted" consequence is very bad. I found no mention of "dual image" in the User's Guide. So it seems that the manual should be updated.

All Replies

• jmullaney
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the info. The dual-image flash storage sounds like a good design.

But regarding the warning in the manual - in big red letters. What do you mean by a "suggested description"? The use of the word "Always" in the warning message does not sound like a "suggestion". And the "cause firmware to be corrupted" consequence is very bad. I found no mention of "dual image" in the User's Guide. So it seems that the manual should be updated.