Alternative zyxel to cisco meraki

Options
Gio999
Gio999 Posts: 8
First Anniversary
Hello there.  We are change out firewall meraki. There are a Simply alternative xyzel? We have 2 locations connected and 30 users. We have 2 internet connection 1 master and one backup. The lan are Simply,  without domain. Thanks to all.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2021
    Options
    You can look for USG/Zywall line if you're not interested into cloud management.
    USG40 is the "smallest" two-wan option, USG (non flex) family use the "older 4.* generation firmware.

Otherwise there's the Nebula option, with built-in cloud management.
    NSG100 seems the smallest "hardware" two-wan option for the lineup, IDK if NSG50 can configure one interface as secondary WAN.
    Nebula (which i still never used) can nicely combine cloud management of firewall, switches, access points, in a full integration network management. Most of the Nebula AP's can be managed stand-alone (bought some AP like NWA-1123ACv2 managed as simple access points)

Mind to verify the maximum bandwidth managed by the device with your Internet connections. WAN1 + WAN2 throughput should be no more than 90% of maximum device throughput, better less than 50% (so you can upgrade your internet connection without hassles)
  • Gio999
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    USG series seems ok, on  but the non flex series can be a problem the old firmware? The flex series start from USG Flex 200 to have 2 wan port (not SFP)
    Nebula is a good way, but there are an annual license to work?
    Thanks for your help.
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    I did not use any 5.x-firmware device until now. So IDK which could be compatibility issues (with older ones) or when 4.x support is going to be dropped by Zyxel.
    Starting from scratch, anyway, i would look for the "latest" technology available at the price i'm willing to pay, for allowing a possibly longer support (and putting "further" the possible replacement for missing security updates).
    Nebula has some features for free, some other are payed, maybe you should look deep into section, manual and licenses if you're willing to consider the option. You can anyway use your credential to MyZyxel for allow a tour of latest firmware release and compare to the manual for understanding how some devices works.

If you're not looking for a "Unified Security Gateway" approach, with integrated Antispam (yearly payed optional), Antivirus (yearly payed optional), content filtering (yearly payed optional) or compliance profile (yearly payed optional), you can look for the VPN series. Less features, still quite rich for doing "more than something" with remote access, firewall rules (without IPS or Packet inspection), IDK if also integrated wireless AP management for a lesser wide set of devices. Unfortunately the compatibility matrix is not that easy to find.

These are only my opinions, take your time to look deeper into manuals and community for understand the features.

• Gio999
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your help. Tha VPN series seems a good choise for this project. There are some optional feature included in the 1 year. But not necessary. Thanks for your help

Security Highlight