Topology for Zyxel GS1920 48

hunggggg
hunggggg Posts: 5
Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in Switch
Dear all, 
I have seven switches in room 1-second floor. I also have 4 switches in room 2-second floor. There are 9 switches on the third floor. All switches are Zyxel GS1920 48. I wonder how to set up and topology for this scenario. Thank you very much
Best Regards

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    960 ports. Simple and straight class B Network? Reliability o maximize network throughput?
  • hunggggg
    Friend Collector
    edited September 2021
    mMontana said:
    960 ports. Simple and straight class B Network? Reliability o maximize network throughput?

Dear, I have the problem that should I use Bus topology to connect switch by switch or using some method of redundancy. Thank you very much. Here is the diagram

Best Regards
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,656  Guru Member
    edited September 2021
    Yhunggggg said:

I would have to first switch to router then all other switches to it   
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    @PeterUK
    some sort of "hub and spoke"?
  • PeterUK

The idea is to reduce the single point of failure if the switch to the router goes down well so does everything but if any other switch goes down the rest of the network stays up.

• hunggggg
    Friend Collector
    edited September 2021
    PeterUK said:

The idea is to reduce the single point of failure if the switch to the router goes down well so does everything but if any other switch goes down the rest of the network stays up.

Thank you very much for your answers, it means Star topology? The problem is that we have the same switch model, we don't have any distributed switch. Any solution for that case? 
    Best Regards
  • PeterUK
    Just use a GS1920 48 that all others connect too
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee
    edited September 2021
    Hi @hunggggg,

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    I would like to suggest another method.
    If your router have three LAN port, you can connect your router to a switch in each of your room as aggregation switch and the rest of switches in each room may use star topology.
    This method could make sure the network usage of room 2&3 if the switch in room 1 is down in the topology you provided.  
    If your router doesn't have three LAN port, you may use @PeterUK's solution.

Zyxel Melen

• hunggggg
    Friend Collector
    edited September 2021
    Hi @hunggggg,

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    I would like to suggest another method.
    If your router have three LAN port, you can connect your router to a switch in each of your room as aggregation switch and the rest of switches in each room may use star topology.
    This method could make sure the network usage of room 2&3 if the switch in room 1 is down in the topology you provided.  
    If your router doesn't have three LAN port, you may use @PeterUK's solution.

Dear, 
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have 2 types of diagrams here. I would be very grateful if you could point out some things wrong in my topology. We have the same switch model.
    Best Regards
  • PeterUK

Nothing really wrong doing it that way.

This is the way I was thinking of.

https://embed.creately.com/43aBymYSHRN?type=svg